Kelly's Directory 1939
Warleggan is a parish and village, on the Temple stream,
5 miles north-east from Bodmin Road station on the Great
Western railway and 6 easy-by-north from Bodmin, in the
Bodmin division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of West, rural district of Liskeard,
county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of
Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St.
Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, in the
Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south
porch and a western tower containing one bell: there are
150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The
living is a rectory, net yearly value £300, including 22
acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the
Diocesan Board of Patronage, and held since 1931 by the
Rev. Frederick William Densham, of St Stephen’s House,
Oxford, and B.A. of London University. There are two
Methodist chapels here. Lord Vivian D.S.O., T.D., D.L.,
J.P. who is lord of the manor, and C.R. Skynner esq. are
the chief landowners. Warleggan is noted for its
wonderful scenery. It slopes from the moors on the north
from a height of 700 feet down to the richly wooded
banks of the Fowey in the famous Glynn Valley on the
south and is bounded on the east by the Warleggan river.
The rivers are noted for the extraordinary runs of
salmon peel in the summer. The soil is peat and clayey
loam; the subsoil is part granite and part clay-slate.
The chief crops are barley and oats, and some wheat. The
area is 2,157 acres of land and 6 of water; population
in 1931, 168.
Contributed by Pauline Pickup