CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Kelly's Directory 1902

Warleggon is a parish and village, on the Temple stream, 5 miles north-east from Bodmin Road station on the Great Western railway and 6 east-by-north from Bodmin, in the South Eastern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of West, Bodmin union and county court district, rural deanery and arch-deaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory; net yearly value £126, including 19 acres of Glebe, with residence, in the gift of F. G. P. Remfry esq., and held since 1901 by the Rev. Carlton Olive M. A., of Exeter College, Oxford. Here are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels. Lord Vivian, who is lord of the manor, and Frederick Ernest Remfry esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is peat and clayey loam; the subsoil is part granite and part clay-slate. Then chief crops are barley and oats, with some wheat. The area is 2,151 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,570; population in 1891 was 206.
 
Post Office, Mount – Samuel Reynolds, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Bodmin at 10.15am; dispatched at 3.5pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order officeis at Bodmin & telegraph office at St Neot, 3 miles distant.
 
A school board of 5 members was formed June 6, 1877; William Stephens, Mount, clerk to the board.
Board School (mixed), built in 1880, at a cost of £480, for 60 children; average attendance, 37.
 
Olive Rev. Carlton M.A. Rectory
 
Commercial
Bunt Petherick, farmer, Lower Thorn
Burlase Thomas, Soldiers’ Arms P.H. Mount
Carne John, agricultural implement maker, agent & repairer, stove maker & general smith, Mount
Coppin Hugh, farmer, Little Bofindle
Cowls James, carpenter
Doney Charles, farmer, Carburrow
Jory John Charles, carpenter, Mount
Knight William Peter, shopkeeper, Mount
Lander Martin, farmer, Bofindle
Lawry Thomas, farmer, Treveddo
Menhinick Christopher, farmer, Dewey
Mutton Thomas, shoe maker, Calloways
Reynolds Samuel, Post Office, Mount
Riddle William & George, farmers, Trevorder
Runnalls Henry, farmer, Castle Dewey
Runnalls Robert, farmer, Well Town
Runnalls William, farmer, Woodah
Sach Robert, manager Treveddo Mining Co Ltd
Stephens William B., farmer, Mount
Treveddo Mining Co Ltd, (Robert Sach, manager)
Wherry John, farmer, Tor House
Wherry John Coppin, farmer, Higher Thorne
Wherry Thomas, farmer, POlventon
Williams William, farmer, Holroad
Worden William, farmer, Downhouse
 

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Contributed by Pauline Pickup