CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Kelly's Directory 1897

Warleggan is a parish and village, on the Temple stream, 5 miles north-east from Bodmin Road station on the Great Western railway and 6 east-by-north from Bodmin, in the South Eastern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of West, Bodmin union and county court district, rural deanery and arch-deaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory; net yearly value £123, including 19 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of F. E. Remfry esq., and held since 1895 by the Rev. Charles Ernest Lambert Lic. Theol. Durham University, who is also the vicar of Temple. Here are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels. Lord Vivian P.C., G.C.M.G, C.B. who is lord of the manor, and Frederick Ernest Remfry esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is peat and clayey loam; the subsoil is part granite and part clay-slate. Then chief crops are barley and oats, with some wheat. The area is 2,055 acres; rateable value, £1,406; the population in 1891 was 206.
 
Sexton, Thomas Lobb
 
Post Office, Mount – Samuel Reynolds, sub-postmaster. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Letters arrive through Bodmin at 10.15am; dispatched at 3.5pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is at Bodmin & telegraph office at Bodmin Road railway station.
 
A school board of 5 members was formed June 6, 1877; William Stephens, Mount, clerk to the board.
Board School (mixed), built in 1880, at a cost of £480, for 60 children; average attendance, 37. Miss Margrt Mitchell, mistress.
 
Lambert Rev Charles E. Rectory
 
Commercial
Bunt Petherick, farmer, Lower Thorn
Burlase Thomas, Soldiers’ Arms P.H. Mount
Coppin Hugh, farmer, Little Bofindle
Cowls James, carpenter
Doney Charles, farmer, Carbarrow
Jory John Charles, carpenter, Mount
Kent Edward, blacksmith, Mount
Knight William Peter, shopkeeper, Mount
Lander Martin, farmer, Bofindle
Lawry Thomas, farmer, Treveddo
Menhinick Christopher, farmer, Dewey
Mutton Thomas, shoe maker, Calloways
Moss John, mine agent
Reynolds Samuel, corn retailer, Post Office, Mount
Riddle William, farmer, Trevorder
Runnalls Rt, farmer, Carne & Trengoff
Runnalls Robert, farmer, Well Town
Runnalls William, farmer, Woodah
Stephens William B., farmer, Mount
Treveddo Tin Mine, (Nicholls Brothers, managers; J Moss, agent)
Wherry John, farmer, Tor House
Wherry John Coppin, farmer, Higher Thorne
Wherry Thomas, farmer, Polventon
Williams William, farmer, Holroad
Worden William, farmer, Downhouse
 

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Contributed by Pauline Pickup