CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Kelly's Directory 1889

Warleggan is a parish and village, on the Temple stream, 5 miles north-east from Bodmin Road station on the Cornwall (Great Western) railway and 6 east-by-north from Bodmin, in the South Eastern division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of West, Bodmin union and county court district, rural deanery and arch-deaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. The church of St Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent charge £150, gross yearly value £200, including 19 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of F. E. Remfry esq., and held since 1878 by the Rev. William Edwin Remfrey, of St Aidens, who resides at Higham, near Hadleigh, Suffolk. Here are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels. Frederick Ernest Remfry esq, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Vivian K.C.M.G, C.B., F.R.G.S, are the chief landowners. The soil is peat and clayey loam; the subsoil is part granite and part clay-slate. Then chief crops are barley and oats, with some wheat. The area is 2,055 acres; rateable value, £1,433; the population in 1881 was 232.
 
Sexton, Thomas Lobb
 
Post Office, Mount – Samuel Reynolds, receiver. Letters arrive through Bodmin at 10.10am; dispatched at 2.50pm. The nearest money order office & telegraph office is at Bodmin.
 
A school board of 5 members was formed June 6, 1877; M. Lander, Bofindle, clerk to the board; E. Tabb, St Mabyn, attendance officer.
Board School (mixed), built in 1880, at a cost of £480, for 60 children; average attendance, 35. Miss Louisa Emily Cudlipp, mistress.
 
Commercial
Blewitt John, farmer, Downhouse
Bunt Petherick, farmer, Lower Thorn & Old Cardinham
Chapman James, blacksmith
Cock Robert, farmer, Whitewalls
Coppin Hugh, farmer, Little Bodfindle
Cowls Henry, miller (water) & farmer, Mill
Cowls James, carpenter
Crapp John (Mrs.), farmer, Carborrow
Lander Martin, farmer, Bofindle
Langdon William, shopkeeper, Mount
Lawry Thomas, farmer, Treveddo
Mitchell Jn, Soldiers’ Arms P.H., Mount
Moss John, mine agent
Reynolds Samuel, boot & shoe maker, Post Officer, Mount
Riddle William, farmer, Trevorder
Runnalls Charles, farmer, Trengoff
Runnalls Robert, farmer, Churchtown
Runnalls William, farmer, Woodah
Stephens William, farmer, Mount
Thomas Samuel, farmer, Old Road
Treveddo Tin Mine (Nicholls Bros. managers)
Wheel Whisper Tin & Copper Mining Co Ltd (Robert Larchin, manager; J Moss, agent)
Wherry Jn Coppin, farmer, Higher Thorne
 

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Contributed by Pauline Pickup