Kelly's Directory 1883
Warleggon is a parish and village, 5 miles north-east from
Bodmin Road station on the Cornwall railway, and 6 east-by-north from
Bodmin, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of West, Bodmin
union and county court district, deanery and arch-deaconry of Bodmin and
diocese of Truro, situated on the Temple stream. The church of St
Bartholomew is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style,
consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing
1 bell: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540.
The living is a rectory; average tithe rent charge £173, gross yearly
value £200, with residence and 19 acres of Glebe, in the gift of F. E.
Remfry esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. William Edwin Remfry, of St
Aidens, who resides at De Grey St., Hull; The Rev John William Grigg
B.A., L.L.B of Trinity College, Dublin, is curate in charge. Here are
Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels. F. E. Remfry esq who is lord of
the manor, and Lord Vivian, K.C.M.G, are the chief landowners. The soil
is peat and clayey loam; the subsoil is part granite and part
clay-slate. Then chief crops are barley and oats, with some wheat. The
area is 2,055 acres; rateable value, £1,461; population in 1881 was 232.
Contributed by Pauline Pickup