CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Post Office Cornwall Directory 1873

Warleggan is a parish and village, 5 miles from Bodmin Road railway station, 6 north-east from Bodmin, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of West, Bodmin union and county court district, rural deanery of West,Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter diocese, situated on the Temple stream. The church (name unknown) is an ancient building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1542. The living is a rectory; yearly value £170, with residence and 19 acres of Glebe land, held by the Rev. Dalston Clements, B.A., of Queens College, Canbridge, who is also the vicar of Temple, in which the church is ruinous, though the church-yard is still used. G. F. Remfry esq, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Vivian, are the chief landowners. The soil is peat and clay loam; the subsoil is part granite and part clay-slate. The chief crops are barley and oats, with some wheat. The area is 2,055 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,616; rateable value, £1,512; and the population in 1871 was 301.
 
Letters through Bodmin, which is the nearest money order office.
 
Clements Rev. Dalston B.A., Rectory
 
Commercial
Alford John, farmer, Tor House
Blewitt John, farmer, Downhouse
Bunt Petherick, farmer, Lower Thorn
Coppin Hugh, farmer, Little Bofindle
Cawrse Joseph, farmer, Welltown
Cowls Henry, miller & farmer, Mill
Cowls James, carpenter
Crapp John, farmer, Carborrow
Hicks John, blacksmith
Lander John, farmer, Bofindle
Little Roger, farmer, Woodah
Mitchell John, Soldiers’ Arms
Olliver John, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Rickard George, mining agent
Riddle William, farmer, Trevorder
Rawling William, farmer, Outer Dewey
Runnalls Robert, farmer, Church Town
Runnalls Samuel, shopkeeper & boot & shoe maker, Mount
Runnalls Thomas, farmer, Trengoff
Thomas Samuel, farmer, Old Road
Warn John, farmer, Mount
Weary John, farmer, Treveddo
Wherry William, farmer, Higher Thorne
 

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Contributed by Pauline Pickup