CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Post Office Cornwall Directory 1856

Warleggon is a parish and village, 30 miles from Plymouth railway station, 5 1/2 north –east from Bodmin, in West Hundred, Bodmin Union, West deanery, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter bishopric, East Cornwall; it is situated on the Temple stream. The church is an old stone building, in the perpendicular style of architecture. The living is a rectory, worth £170 yearly, with residence and 19 acres of Glebe land, in the gift of G.W.F. Gregor Esq.; the Rev. Dalston Clements, B.A. is the incumbent. The population is 1851 was 295, and the acreage4 is 2.055. The soil is peat and clay loam; the subsoil is part granite and part clay slate. G.W.F. Gregor, Esq. is the lord of the manor, and, with Lord Vivian, chief landowner. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.
 
Clements Rev. Dalston, B.A. Rectory
 
Traders
Blewitt John, farmer, Downhouse
Bunt Petherick, farmer, Lower Thorn
Bunt Richard, farmer, Woodah
Cowl James, carpenter
Cowl Richard, farmer, Welltown
Giddy John, farmer, Higher Thorn
Goodwin Richard, mining agent
Hamlyn Joseph, carpenter
Hancock James, boot & shoe maker
Hancock William, farmer, Little Bofindle
Lean William, farmer, Tyerhouse
Little Thomas, farmer, Lower Dewey
Marshall William, farmer, Trevorder
Martin James, “Soldiers’ Arms”
Olliver John, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Pomeroy James, blacksmith
Rickard George, mining agent
Riddle William, farmer, Trevorder
Ronalds William, farmer, Higher Dewey
Runnels Thomas, farmer, Trengoff
Thomas Samuel, farmer, Holroad
Warren John, farmer, Mount
Werry John, farmer, Trevedda

Letters through Bodmin, which is the nearest money order office.
 
Carnvivian Mine is in the parish of Warleggon, union of Bodmin, hundred of Trigg, Cornwall, and within the bounds of the manor of Lord Vivian. It is situated 7 miles from the town of Bodmin. The nearest shipping place for ores and machinery is at Moorswater, 7 miles from the mine, and the nearest railway station is at Plymouth, 247 miles from London. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years, from 1855, at a royalty of 1-16th, granted by Lord Vivian, of Glyn, Bodmin. The country is elvin and slate. There has been one shaft sunk 7 fathoms. The mine is worked by water power, and was first opened in 1855; it is now worked for copper and lead. The purser is Richard Bray, of Bodmin; the captain is William Oates.
 
Great Treveddoe Mine is in the parish of Warleggon, union of Bodmin, hundred of Trigg, Cornwall, and within the mining district of Bodmin; it is situated 6 miles from the town of Bodmin, which is the nearest railway station. The nearest shipping place for ores and machinery is at St Austell, 15 miles from the mine. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years, at a royalty of 1-16th, granted by ? Cohan Esq. of Dunslan, Devon. The country is granite, and the dip north. The shaft is sunk 18 fathoms. The mine is worked by water power, and drained by an adit. The mine is now worked for tin. The purser is Richard Goodwin, of Warleggon; the captain is George Rickards. The London offices are at 7 Warkworth Terrace, Limehouse.
 

Return to Warleggan Parish Page
 

Contributed by Pauline Pickup