Menheniot Parish Page
Taken from Magna Britain : volume 3 written by Daniel
& Samuel Lysons (as it appears on www.british-history.ac.uk)
MENHENIOT, in the deanery and in the middle division of the
Hundre of east, lies about two miles and a half east-south-east from Liskeard,
which is the post-office town. The principal villages in this parish are
Merrymeet, Quarry, Tregondale and Tregrill.
There are three fairs at Menheniot for horned cattle and sheep ; April 23, June
11 and July 28.
The manor of Menheniot, alias Tregelly, belonged at an early period to the
Carminows, afterwards to the Trelawneys. Leland, writing in the reign of Henry
V111., says that Trelawney, then living, was the fourth of the name who had been
lords of Menheniot. This manor is now the property of Mr. Joseph Hambly.
Menheniot is one of the nine franchises enumerated by Carew. The Trelawneys had,
for several generations, a seat at Menheniot called Pool, from whence they
removed, in the reign of James 1., to Pelynt. This old mansion, which Carew
speaks of as far beneath the worth and calling of its possessor, Sir Jonathan
Trelawney, is now occupied as the parish poor- house.
The manor of Tregartha, which had been purchased of the Eriseys by Trelawney,
before the year 1620, is now the property of Francis Rawle Esq., by purchase
from the coheiresses of Joseph Gartrell.
The manor of Cartuther (“Cortyder or Cotyder, a goodly lordship and an old manor
place of a hundred pound by the year” – Leland) belonged to the family of
Heling/Eling; the same probably, who from this their residence took the name of
Cartuther and became extinct about the year 1400: the heiress or coheiress
brought Cartuther to the Beckets (NB in the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1,
Cartuther was the seat of Robert Beckett, Esq). The late Sir John Morshead,
Bart., who possessed this manor by inheritance from his grandfather, sold it to
Samuel Kekewich, Esq., of Peamore near Exeter, the present proprietor. Cartuther,
which was some time the residence of the Morsheads, is now a farm-house.
Sir John Morshead was possessed, also, of the manor of Tregondale, which had
belonged to the priory of Plympton, and afterwards to the Chivertons.
The manor of Trethew, which in the reign of James 1 belonged to the family of
Vaughn, is now the property of Francis Glanville Esq., of Catchfrench.
The barton of Trehawke, many years the seat of a family of that name, was given,
by the late John Trehawke, Esq., to Samuel Kekewich, Esq., the present
proprietor. It is now a farm-house, the property of Mr Penwarne.
Trevadoc, in this parish, was formerly the seat of the Beres; there are two
tenements of this name, both farm-houses. Botterdon or Butterdon and Penhanger,
which passed by marriage from the Killigrews to the Wreys, are now farm-houses,
the former belongs to the heirs of the late Edward Trelawney, Esq.’ the latter
to John Morth Woolcombe Esq., of Ashbury in Devonshire. Trewint, some time a
seat of the Kelly family, is now a farm-house, belonging to Mr Abraham Hambly.
There are no remains of Tencreek, an ancient mansion, said, by vague tradition,
to have been a hunting-seat of the Dukes of Cornwall: it belonged, some time, to
the Trevilles. The barton is now the property of Samuel Pett M.D. of Clapton,
In the parish church are memorials fro the families of Carminow and Burell;
J.Trelawney of Coldrinnink, Dean of Exeter, and Lady Charlotte, daughter of
James, Earl of Errol, Lord High Constable of Scotland and wife of William
Holwell Carr B.D., the present incumbent, who died in 1801. The vicarage, one of
the most valuable benefices in Cornwall, is endowed with the great tithes to the
vicar of Menheniot.
William of Wykham was vicar of this parish. Dr Moreman, a learned divine, who
was instituted to the vicarage of Menheniot in the reign of Henry V111., is said
to have been the first of those parts who taught and catechished his parishoners
in the English language. There was formerly a chapel at Cartuther, dedicated to
St Nicholas. Within the boundaries of this parish, near the town of Liskeard,
was, in ancient times a hospital of lepers dedicated to St Mary Magdalen.
The interest of £42 was given by Mr Question, vicar of Menheniot, for the
support of a schoolmaster, and the interest of £25 by Mr Edmund Snell for the
same purpose. The parish of Menheniot abounds with beautiful scenery; its
numerous valleys being pleasingly diversified with rock and wood.