CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Lanlivery Parish Page


Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall 1914

LANLIVERY RURAL is a parish and village, on the road from St Austell to Bodmin, and bounded on the east by the river Fowey, nearly 2 miles west from Lostwithiel station and 2 miles east from Luxulion station, on the Great Western railway 6 miles south from Bodmin and 7 north-east from St Austell, in the South Eastern division of the county, East division of the hundred of Powder, petty sessional division of Powder Tywardreath, Bodmin Union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro. Under the provisions of the “Local Government Act 1894” the ancient civil parish of Lanlivery was, in 1894, divided into two civil parishes, Urban and Rural, the former being that part of the parish in Lostwithiel Municipal borough. By Local Government Board Order, No. 34.901, March 25th 1896, the Urban parish was added to Lostwithiel civil parish. The church of St. Brevita is a fine building of granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, south porch, south aisle, north transept and a very fine embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing eight bells: the east window is stained, and there are memorial windows to Nicholas Kendall Esq. of Pelyn, sometime M.P. for East Cornwall (1878), the Rev. Francis John Hext Kendall, vicar of Talland (1874), and to Edward Richard Foster Esq., of Castle, (1869); there are many monuments, some elaborate and costly, to the Kendall family, including a brass with effigy to Jane, daughter of Nicholas Kendall Esq. (1643): there are some remains of a rood loft: the church was restored during 1878-91, at a cost of £867, and affords 335 sittings. The register dates from the year 1583. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence and 24 ½ acres of glebe, in the gift of Nicholas Kendall esq. and held since 1908 by the Rev. William Edward Wynne B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, and another at Pennant, and there are United Methodists chapels at Sweets House, erected in 1877, with 180 sittings, and at Redmoor, with 120 sittings. Near Helman Tor, Lanlivery is a fallen cromlech, consisting chiefly of one huge monolith, propped up at one end by another of smaller dimensions. Charities of £18 are distributed yearly. Castle, the property of Richard Foster esq., J.P.of Lanwithan, is a mansion of stone and granite, beautifully situated in a well-wooded park, 1 mile south of Lostwithiel, and is at present occupied by Count Eluhart von Fabrice. The trustees of the late Nicholas Kendall (d.1888), who are lords of the manor, the Duchy of Cornwall, Viscount Clifden, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe P.C., D.C.L., L.L. John Cosmo Stuart Rashleigh esq. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and Richard Foster esq., of Lanwithan, St. Winnow, are the principal landowners. The soil is light, with a great deal of granite, and near the Fowey, ironstone; subsoil, slate. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 6,486 acres of land, 11 of water, 5 of tidal water, and 10 of foreshore; rateable value, £6,893; the population in 1911 was 607 in the civil, and 1,055 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Post Office – Mrs. Susan Facey, sub postmistress. Letters through Lostwithiel arrive at 7 a.m., dispatched at 5.15 p.m. week days only. Lostwithiel, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Wall letter box, at Sweets House, cleared at 4.30 p.m. week days only.


Lanlivery (mixed), built of granite, with master’s residence, in 1877, for 120 children; average attendance, 74; Richard Blewett, master; Miss Helena Higgs, assistant mistress.
Boslimon, built in 1877, for 50 children; average attendance, 38; Miss Catherine M. Knight, mistress.


Marked thus * receive letters through Bodmin.
Arlette, Thomas Edgar, Teganoon
Frabrice, Count Eluhart Von, Castle
*Harper, Walter, Boslimon
Hext, George J.P., Cowbridge
Wynne, Rev. William Edward B.A. (vicar), Vicarage


Algar, William, farmer, Lancrow
*Bilkey, Samuel, cowkeeper, Redmoor
Bray, Thomas, farmer, Trethew
Brown, Thomas, farmer, Roselath
Coad, Joseph, farmer, Breany
*Cole, John Wm., farmer, Woodlands
Dunn, Henry, farmer, Strickstenton
Dustow, Matthew Stafford, farmer, Colwith
Eddy, John, farmer, Creft
Elford, John, farmer, Powderham
Facey, James, grocer
Freeman, John, Sons and Co Ltd, Granite Quarry Works, (Samuel Williams Tregaskis, manager) Colkerrow See advertisement
Grigg, Jas. & Thos., farmers, Trevilmick
Hawkey, Henry, farmer, Penhale
Henwood, Jn. Rundle, blacksmith & frmr
Higgs, Philip, farmer, Whistow
Hoar, John, farmer, Crewel
Hoar, Thomas (Mrs.), farmer, Penquite
*Jane, John, shopkeeper, Sweets House
Joliffe, Louisa, (Mrs.), farmer, Penpell
Kittow, William Hy., farmer, Trethevy
Lander, Christopher, farmer, Poldew
Lanxon, Wm., farmer, Low. Desmesnes
Lean, John Charles, farm bailiff to J. Santo Esq., Polgasick
*Lean, Joseph, farmer, Redmoor
*Littleton, Albert, farmer, Chark
Littleton, Thomas, farmer, Streigh
*Littleton, Thomas, farmer, Pool
*Littleton, Walter, farmer, Pullington & Boslimon
*Littleton, William, farmer, Buzzah
Masters, Chas., cowkeeper, Crift Down
May, Albert, farmer, Coomb
*May, Chas. Harper, farmer, Creney Gate
Maynard, Thomas, farmer, Barn Gate
Munro, Alex. Duncan, Crown Inn
Nicholls, Hy., farmer, Higher Desmesnes
*Oliver, Charles, miller (water), Chark Mills & farmer, Rew
Phillips, Charles, farmer, Rosenea
Phillips, Jas., farmer, Higher, Middle & Lower Greadow
Pill, Henry, miller, (water), Rosenea
*Reading Room, (Reginald Dingle, sec), Sweets House
Reading Room, (Norman Vague, sec), Church Town
Rogers, Albert, shoe maker
Roskelley, Benjamin Sturtridge, mason, Pelyn Tors
Rouse, Fredk. Wm., carpenter, Puddle
Rowse, Timothy, farmer, Penhale
Rundle, William Henry & William, farmers, Church Town
*Sandy, Jn. Chas., corn dlr., Redmoor
Sleep, John, wood ranger to the trustees of Nicholas Kendall Esq., Church Town
Stickland, James, farmer, Treganoon
*Tinney, George, cowkeeper, Redmoor
*Tregay, James, basket ma., Sweets Ho.
Trethewey, Joseph, farmer, Tregantle
Vague, Thomas, farmer, Tregantle
Veall, Henry, farmer, Pill
*Wellington, William (Mrs.), farmer Sweets House
Wherry, Charles, farmer, Colkerrow
Wherry, William, farmer, Penant
White, Ralph, farmer, Milltown

Return to Lanlivery Parish Page


Transcribed by Pauline Pickup