CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

Return to Lanlivery Parish Page
 

Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall 1883

Lanlivery is a parish and village, situated on the road from St. Austell to Bodmin, 2 miles west from Lostwithiel station on the Cornwall railway, 6 miles south from Bodmin, and 7 north-east from St. Austell, in the eastern division of the county, east division of the hundred of Powder, Bodmin union and county court district, and rural deanery of Bodmin, archdeaconry and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Brevita is a fine building of granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, south aisle, north transept, and a battlemented tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells: the east window is stained, and there are memorial windows to Nicholas Kendall, esq. of Pelyn, J.P. and sometime M.P. for East Cornwall (1878), to the Rev. Francis John Hext Kendall, vicar of Talland (1874), and his wife, (1871), and to Edward Richard Foster R.N. (1869). There are many monuments, some elaborate and costly, to the Kendall family, including a brass with effigy to Jane, daughter of Nicholas Kendall esq. (1643): there are some remains of a rood loft. The register dates from the year 1603. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, from vicarial tithe rent-charge £307 with residence and 24 ½ acres of glebe, in the gift of Nicholas Kendall esq. J.P. and held since 1862 by the Rev. Francis Kendall B.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan chapels and United Methodist Free Church chapels at Sweets House, a Wesleyan at Pennant, and one for the United Methodist Free Church at Redmoor. Near Helmen Tor, Lanlivery, is a fallen cromlech, consisting chiefly of one huge monolith, propped up at one end by one of smaller dimensions. Charities of £16 are distributed yearly. Castle, the seat of Richard Foster esq. D.L. J.P. is a mansion of stone and granite, beautifully situated in a well wooded park, 1 ½ miles south of Lostwithiel, and is at present occupied by Captain Colman Battie Rashleigh D.L. J.P. who is lord of the manor, Lord Robartes, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, Jonathan Rashleigh esq. J.P. D.L and Richard Foster esq. D .L. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is light, a great deal of granite; subsoil, slate. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and turnips. The area is 6,790 acres; rateable value, £7,075; and the population in 1881 was 1,388.
Parish clerk, John Verran
Letters through Lostwithiel, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
WALL LETTER BOX, at the school, cleared at 4.50 p.m. weekdays only. WALL LETTER BOX, at Sweets House, cleared at 3.40 p.m. weekdays only.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; R. Foster, chairman & clerk to the board.
SCHOOLS:-
Board (mixed), built with master’s residence, in 1877, for 120 children; average attendance, about 70; Arthur Hubert, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Hubert, assistant mistress.
Infants (mixed), Boslimmon, built in 1877, for 50 children; average attendance, 25; Miss Jane Roche, mistress.
 
Names marked thus * receive letters through Bodmin
Geach, Thomas, Milltown
Kendall, Nicholas J.P., Pelyn
Kendall, Rev. Fras. B.A. [vicar], Vicarage
Rashleigh, Capt. Colman Battie D.L. J.P., Castle
Sambell, Benjamin Joseph Wm, Restormel
 
COMMERCIAL
Algar, William, farmer, Lancrow
Beswetherick, Philip, shoe maker
Brewer, Francis, Miller (water), Milltown
*Church, Edmund, farmer, Redmoor
Coad, Jonathan, farmer, Breany
Congdon, Thomas Edwin, farmer, Crewell
Dunn, Richard, farmer, Strickstenton
Eddy, Peter, farmer, Tregantle
Fiddick, Henry, farmer, Trethevy
Freeman, John & Sons, Granite Quarry works (Edward Jago, man.), Colkerrow
Grigg, Isaac, farmer, Trevilmick
*Harper, Catherine (Mrs.), cowkeeper, Boslimmon
Harper, Charles, farmer, Creney
*Harper, John, road surveyor for the Tywardreath highway district, Boslimmon
*Harper, Thomas, mineral agent to Lord Robartes, Maudlin
Hawkey, Francis, farmer, Colly Green
Hawkey, Robert, farmer, Trevorry
Henwood, John Rundle, blacksmith
Hick, Jenifer (Miss), grocer
Higgs, Philip, farmer, Whistow
Hoar, Thomas, farmer, Penquite
Hocking, John, blacksmith, Sweets House
Jeffery, Thomas, blacksmith
Keat, John, miller (water), Rosenea Mill
Lanxon, Henry, farmer, Lower Demeans
Lewis, Thos., plasterer, Crewell Orchard
Little, Denzil, farmer, Trethew & Roselath
*Littleton, James, farmer, Woodlands
*Littleton, James, farmer, & temperance hotel, Sweets House
Littleton, Nicholas Braddon, farmer, Polgasick
*Littleton, Peter, farmer, Charck
*Littleton, Walter, farmer, Redmoor
*Littleton, Walter jun., farmer, Pullington
May, Albert, farmer, Coomb
Mitchell, William, farmer, Penhale
Moffatt, Thomas, farmer, Pill
Mugfer, John, farmer, Penknight
*Netherton, Robert, cowkeeper, Redmoor
Nicholls, Robt., farmer, Higher Demeans
*Oliver, Charles, farmer, Rew
*Oliver, John, miller (water & stream), Chark Mills
Olver, William George, wood ranger to Nicholas Kendall esq. Pelyn Tors
Peake, William, farmer, Treganoon
Phillips, John, farmer, Higher Greadow
Phillips, Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Greadow
Phillips, William, farmer, Rosenea
Richards, Richard, Crown Inn
*Rowe, John, cowkeeper, Redmoor
*Rowe, John, mason, Redmoor
Rouse, Fredk. Wm., carpenter, Puddle
Rundell, James, farmer, Colkerrow
Rundle, James, carpenter & grocer, Church Town
Rundle, William Hy., farmer, Church Town
Sambell, Benjamin Joseph William, farmer, Restormel
Scantelbury, Elford, farmer, Poldew
Sturtridge, Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer, Tregantle
*Tregay, James, basket maker, Maudlin & Sweets House
Verran, John, registrar for births & deaths for Lanlivery sub-district, Bodmin Union, Pelyn Tors
Ward, William, farmer, Colwith
*Wellington, Thos. Hy., farmer, Bodwen
Werry, William, farmer, Penpell
Wherry, Charles, mason, Crift Down
*White, Samuel, boot & shoe maker, Sweets House
White, Wm. Henry, farmer, Milltown
Willcock, William, farmer, Powderham
*Williams, James, farmer, Streigh
Williams, John, farmer, Blowinghouse

Return to Lanlivery Parish Page

 

Contributed by Pauline Pickup