CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive


The parish of

ST WENN



The Tower
 


East End
 

 
Font
 

 
1914-18 War Memorial
 
The Parish Church & War Memorial
© John Evans
Click thumbnails to enlarge

St Wenn is a rural parish in the heart of Cornwall consisting of the villages of St Wenn, Rosenannon and Tregonetha plus several farms. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of St Issey & St Breock, on the east & south by the parish of Withiel, on the south west by the parish of Roche and on the west & north west by the parish of St Columb Major. St Wenn is still very much a farming based community, little influenced by industry or tourism. Until the last century, much of the land was owned by a few major landowners including the Honorable Anna Maria Agar of Lanhydrock House and Charles Brideaux Brune of Prideaux Place in Padstow, but none had a home in the parish and the only house that could be described as being of manorial proportions is the old Rectory, now a hotel.


Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for St Wenn is Philip Green, who can be contacted by Email.

The OPC has compiled all the information available from the OPC database and other sources into family histories of St Wenn residents from about the English Civil War to the early 20th century. These are available on his website.

For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.


PARISH INFORMATION

CENSUS:

Information can be found at COCP (the Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.

REGISTERS:

For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently and GenUKI. The C-PROP parish coverage page is here.

DIRECTORIES:

For information, see the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.

OTHER:

Settlement Papers:

  25 May 1744, Joseph LEWIS, child of Ann 18 Feb 1831, John RETALLICK (& Luxulyan & Menheniot)
  5 Feb 1756, John & Joan GILBERT (also Probus) 2 Jan 1844, William & Anne PINCH & family (& St Breock)

Voters Lists:

  1. 1851/52
  2. 1852/53
  3. 1856/57
  4. 1864/65

Wills:

A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference.  For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.

  11-Jan 1552, Crystyn BORLASSE 5 Jan 1700, Roger WITHELL
  1 May  1589, Thomas BAWDEN 26 Feb 1748, John PASCOE
  23 Jan 1597, James TIPPETT 1 Sep 1851, Josias PHILLIPPS
  30? Mar? 1682, Christopher WITHELL  

A Bastardy Bond, dated 5 Oct 1813, naming Jane BROKENSHIRE and Henry and Samuel BRENTON (all of St Wenn) concerning a child, chargeable to the Parish of Roach.

To view a poem, dated 13 April 1840, by Joshua WHITE of St Wenn. A true Account in Verse of the Latter Life and Ignominious Death of Wm. & Jas. LIGHTFOOT, of the Parish of St. Breock.

Two books by John James are available for purchase: St Wenn and its People (ISBN 10: 0956147607, ISBN 13: 978-0956147608) and St Wenn in Pictures (ISBN 10: 0956147623, ISBN 13: 978-0956147622).

For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.

MAPS:

For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Wenn at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.

ADJACENT PARISHES:

St Columb Major, St Breock, Withiel and Roche.

ONLINE BOOKS:

  1. St Wenn is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume IV by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf.
  2. Phillimore's Marriages Vol XI transcripts including St Wenn (transcribed and in our database)

MORE PHOTOGRAPHS:


 
Former Tregonetha Chapel (1)


Former Tregonetha Chapel (2)


Cottages
 
© John Evans
Click thumbnails to enlarge