The parish of
St George, created 1847
St John, created 1852
St Mary, the ancient Parish
St Paul, created 1856
Cathedral, Truro, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Built on the site of the former parish church of St Mary The
Virgin, it incorporates some of the surviving features and also
functions as the parish's church. Work started in 1880 and the
cathedral was consecrated in 1887.
Photograph © Anthea Augustson
currently no OPC (Genealogy) for these parishes. The previous OPC
website, which might be
useful in your research.
For information about, and contact details for,
the current city
council please see
Contact details for the cathedral and churches can be found by
Information can be found at
COCP (the Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for
1841 to 1891 and has been verified,
FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as
GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate
For Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently and GenUKI. The C-PROP parish
coverage page is here.
For information, see the University of
Bastardy Bonds/Filiation Documents:
name the local Justices of the Peace, Churchwardens and Overseers of the
Poor, as well as those people mentioned below.)
- dated 13 Aug 1746,
naming John CARNE of the Borough of Truro.
- dated 28 Oct
1781, naming William and Thomas BARRET of the Borough of Truro.
- dated 17
Sep 1783, naming Thomas WILTON of the Borough of Truro.
- dated 28 Nov
1784, naming Collin CAMPBELL of the Borough of Truro.
- dated 12 Dec 1785,
naming Edmund ROUSE of the Borough of Truro, as surety for his son George.
- dated 16
Oct 1789, naming John WRIGHT, Junr, of the Borough of Truro.
- dated 2
Mar 1791, naming John WRIGHT, Junr, and John ROSE of the Borough of
Indentures & Other Legal Documents
- Transcription of an Indemnity Order from the Parish
of St Clements to the Borough of Truro,
dated 1 Apr
1772, regarding contributions to the upkeep of the Poorhouse.
14 Dec 1733,
1747, Thomas HUTCHINS
1743, Stephen TIPPETT
1747, John LARK
15 Mar 1743,
15 Jun 1748,
6 Mar 1745,
8 Aug 1748,
3 Feb 1747, James CALLAWAY
31 Oct 1854, Anne EDWARDS
||1 Mar 1747,
Jan 1876, Mary Elizabeth PRICE
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
To enjoy a "walk" around these parishes, search for Truro at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
- Truro is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume IV by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838. Also downloadable as a pdf.
The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, A.M. F.S.S., then Vicar of
Bodmin, printed 1847. If the in-built search produces no results, use the
index pages (474-476) to find your parish of interest. Tables of statistics
and other data can be found at the beginning of the book, starting at page