CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
The parish of
This tiny isolated parish on Bodmin
Moor takes its name from a chapel established here by the Knights
Templar in the 12th C., thought to have been for the benefit of pilgrims
travelling to the Holy Land. With the passing of the Marriage Act in
1753, it became notorious as a place where couples could marry without
banns or licence, but this came to an end in 1774 and the church,
dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria, fell into ruin. Rebuilt about
100 years later, on the foundations of the old chapel, it incorporates
many artefacts from the original.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Temple is Kay Halley, who can be contacted by Email.
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council (Blisland) please see this website.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
For information, see the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.
Transcriptions are available here.
For other information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Temple Cornwall at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.