Sketch plan showing approximate positions of nearby Parishes
|lies between the
Atlantic Ocean and Bodmin Moor (west of the A39 between
Camelford and Wadebridge) and covers an area of almost 6000
acres. St. Teath was in the Camelford Registration District
until 1974, since when it has been in the Bodmin Registration
District. The Parish is located in The Anglican Diocese of Truro
and is attached to the deanery of Trigg Minor and Bodmin in the
Archdeaconry of Bodmin.
Employment has been in agriculture, some silver-lead mining and
slate quarrying. Treburgett was the main mine, at one time a
large employer in the area. For further detailed information see
the St. Teath
The world famous Delabole Slate Quarry has continued to produce
top quality slate for more than 6oo years. At the end of the
19th century approximately one thousand men and boys were
employed in quarrying, splitting, dressing and shipping slate.
The Old Delabole Slate Company was formed in 1841 when the five
quarries that existed within the vicinity of the present pit
formed themselves into a single controlled unit. It became the
present limited liability company in 1898.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St.Tetha and dates from about
1380. A Norman church, built about 1100, previously stood on the
site and remains of this include the lower stage of the tower
and the old font on the floor inside the North Door. A large
Celtic cross stands in the cemetery and the fact that the church
land is in the shape of a rough circle indicates that there was
probably some kind of place of worship here in Celtic times.
St. Tetha’s Church served the whole parish until the Church of
Saint John the Evangelist was built at Delabole in 1879. The
first baptism recorded there was on 7th August 1881. It has a
unique slate altar built from Delabole slate.
Photos and details of the history of St. Teath Methodist Church
and Cemetery, including photos of memorial inscriptions, can be
seen on the
St. Teath Village Website.
St. Tetha's Church
Delabole Slate Quarry
St John the Evangelist's Church
||The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for
St Teath is Joy Langdon,
who can be contacted by Email.
For information about (and contact details for) the
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete for
1841 to 1891 and has been verified,
FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as
GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative
For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently and GenUKI. The C-PROP parish
coverage page is here.
For information, see the University of
A wealth of interesting and useful information can
be found on both the St.
Delabole village websites.
In the History section of the St. Teath Village website there are detailed
pieces about Nicholas Ennor, fundraising in the past, St. Teath and the Railway,
Treburgett Mine, Old Buildings in the Village and Memories of St. Teath. While
in the Family History section there are plans and photographs of the Memorial
stones in the New Cemetery, which was opened in 1869, and of the Methodist
Church cemetery in Trevilley Lane.
On the Delabole village website under 'Places' there is information on
Tregardock, Trebarwith, Bodmin Moor and Delabole Windfarm. In the 'People'
section there are many interesting stories about people and places in Delabole,
and in the 'Photographs' section there are old and new photos of Delabole. The
'Information' section has a map of the Delabole area.
Stone and Quarrymen of the West Country.
A database with over 67,000 entries. A personal collection by Joan Taber.
The website for the Delabole Slate Quarry with details of products, tours,
1851/52 Voters List for this parish.
Other Indentures and Bonds:-
name the local Justices of the Peace, Churchwardens and Overseers of the
Poor, as well as those people mentioned below.)
an Indenture dated,
26 Mar / 17 Apr 1847,
some people from this parish.
dated 21 Feb 1852,
between William WESTLAKE, William BURGESS and William REED.
an Indenture, dated
1854, naming Benjamin JACOBS, his children Celia Martin, Jonathan and
Benjamin the younger, and Robert NUTE.
Other transcribed documents (covering multiple
parishes including St Teath) link
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Teath at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Lanteglos by Camelford,
St Tudy, St Kew and
Delabole - The History of the Slate Quarry and the Making of its
Village Community by Catherine Lorigan
Connections – Aspects of the History of North Cornwall by
The first chapter is devoted to the Wills of St. Teath parish in the
17th century. Other chapters cover topics that are in some way connected
to each other.
Both books are exhaustively researched and fascinating.
- St Teath is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume IV by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838. Also downloadable as a pdf.
The Parochial and Family History of St, Teath and Temple in The
County of Cornwall, by Sir John Maclean, F.S.A.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol I transcripts including St Teath
(transcribed and in our