The parish of
is in the Hundred of Powder, and is bordered by Cubert, Newlyn and
Kenwyn, and on the west by the sea. (please see map link below).
Closely tied to St. Piran, who reportedly came to Cornwall from
Ireland in 460 A.D., in 1835 an ancient church or chapel was
discovered buried in the sand, which might be the actual oratory in
which St. Piran himself officiated. (According to Carew, St. Piran
lived over 200 years "in perfect health".) Reportedly, when
discovered the chapel was 'perfect', but many parts of it were
demolished and taken away by curiosity seekers. The sands have since
been allowed to reclaim it.
One of the main dwelling places is Chyverton, a 'tasteful and
commodious mansion' which was built in 1781.
The 'promising little watering place' of Perran Porth is situated
near the mouth of the Mellingey river, at the southern extremity of
the sand towans. As one observer wrote, "at sunset the view on the
coast from the village - the waves rolling in on a sandy and desert
plain, extending in a north-easterly direction for more than two
miles - is exceedingly grand."
The chief villages are Perranporth, Mellingy, Penhallow, and
Callestock. At Perranporth, there was a 'tasteful' Wesleyan
Methodist chapel; a large chapel of the same denomination at
Mellingy, and a Bible Christian chapel at Penhallow. Perranporth
also had a chapel of ease, and there were many, smaller chapels at
The OPC (Genealogy) for Perranzabuloe is Mark Jose who
can be contacted at
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for
1841 to 1891
and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is
For information, see GenUKI or visit the
University of Leicester's
Historical Directories website.
Bastardy / Filiation Documents:
Many also name local J.P.s,
Churchwardens and / or Overseers of the Poor.
- 9 Feb 1765, naming
Ruth JOSE of St Breock, plus Richard TRENERRY and John TRENERRY of this parish.
Apr 1832, naming Joseph TREGILGUS of this parish, and a Warrant for his
Some MIs for Callestick Methodist Chapel (surname
TRENERRY) are available
here. Digital photographs of those and some other headstones are
available from the OPC.
For more information regarding history,
population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Perranzabuloe at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Mithian (post-1848), Kenwyn,
Newlyn East and Cubert.
- Perranzabuloe is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page 312). Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XVI transcripts including Perranzabuloe
(transcribed and in our
database). For the Contents page, keep clicking on Next until page 7/156