The parish of
The Parish Curch
Contributed by Diane Donohue
was originally called Perran Uthno, or Little
Perran, and is surrounded by the parish of St. Hilary on all sides
but the south, which is bordered by the sea and Mount's Bay. Names
associated with the parish are Trevelyan, Praed, and even Stackhouse
- whose family most likely originated in the West Riding of
Yorkshire. Mr. Stackhouse built Acton Castle for his wife in 1775;
it has since served as a manor for various families.
Goldsithney, "a large and respectable village",
contains both Wesleyan Methodist and Association of Methodists
chapels. Another village is named Trevean, and, of course, there is
the Churchtown. The Kennal Powder Works was a major employer at one
The OPC (Genealogy) for Perranuthnoe is Robert Sandford
who can be contacted at
For information about, and contact details for, the current parish
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for
1841 to 1891
and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is
For information, see GenUKI or visit the
University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.
Perranuthnoe 1899 (pdf)
For more information regarding history,
population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Perranuthnoe at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Marazion (post-1813) and
- Perranuthnoe is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XV transcripts including Perranuthnoe
(transcribed and in our