CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

The parishes of


St John, St Mary and St Paul

The Parish Church of St Mary
© Anthea Augustson

Penzance, St. Mary became an ecclesiastical parish in its own right in 1871, but it had existed as a chapelry for the Parish of Madron before that time. Earlier baptism, marriage and burial records are included in our database under either Madron or Madron, Penzance Chapelry. The Transcriber's Notes might give an indication of the building in which the ceremonies were performed.

St Mary’s church was built on the site of an older chapel between 1832 & 1835, and was dedicated in 1835, but again it remained within the parish of Madron for almost 4 decades. The parish of St John’s Penzance was created in the 1880’s, and the parish of St Paul’s Penzance in 1867 – the latter combining with St Mary’s Penzance in 1973.

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Penzance is Susan Evans Shaw, who can be contacted at
For information about, and contact details for, the current town council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.



Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.


For Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP), and GenUKI. The C-PROP parish coverage page is here.


  1830, Pigot's for Penzance & Marazion  

For more information, see the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.


Bastardy/Filiation Documents:

  1 Feb 1785, Agnes WOOLCOCK, John GREEN, Catherine SECOMB 23 August 1832, Robert John HUGHES, mariner
  25 Apr 1785, Sampson & Richard RUNNALLS, George EVA  

Settlement Documents:

  22 Nov 1815, Elizabeth TONKIN (& St Buryan)  


  2 Feb 1586, John MADERNE 15 Apr 1747, Walter COUCH
28 Nov 1612, John HUNNEWELL 27 Jun 1747, Edward BETTY
  9 Jul 1626, John MADERNE 8 Feb 1748, John GROSE
  26 Dec 1654, Degory DUKE 10 Sep 1748, Andrew VIGURS
  9 Oct 1685, John TREVETHAN 12 Feb 1749, Ely PHILLIPPS
  23 Mar 1741, Christopher PENDER (proved 1751) 24 Jan 1750, Thomas JOHN
  20 Mar 1742, William JOHN 24 Apr 1750, Thomas JAMES
  27 May 1742, Thomas GEORGE Aug 1750, Pascoe GRENFELL
  11 Sep 1742, Roger FRANCIS (proved 1751) 23 Aug 1750, Richard JAMES
  7 Dec 1742, Henry TAYLOR 6 Oct 1750, Thomas SLEEP
  1 Feb 1744, John TEMBEY 4 Aug 1753, Nicholas JAMES
  19 Feb 1745, Grace PENHELLICK 9 Mar 1754, Jane JAMES
  25 Nov 1745, William RICHARDS 16 Aug 1754, William DAVY
  11 Sep 1746, John CUNNACK 7 Sep 1840, Uriah TONKIN
  3 Nov 1746, Peter QUICK 15 Jan 1849, Benjamin PENTREATH
  6 Feb 1747, Thomas TEAGUE 26 Mar 1852, Thomas SCOBELL (document relating to Will)
  22 Mar 1747, Tristram PHILLIPS  

For information regarding History, Population, and much more, visit GenUKI.


For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Penzance at, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.


Madron and Gulval


  1. Penzance is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
  2. The History of Mount's Bay, comprising Saint Michael's Mount, Marazion, Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, &c. &c., published in 1820 by J. Thomas
  3. Phillimore's Marriages Vol XII transcripts including Madron with Penzance (transcribed and in our database)