The parish of
is located in the hundred of West and was called Piunent in the Doomsday Book.
The land was originally one of the 280 manors given to the Earl of
Morton by William the Conqueror. Associated with the parish are the
manors of Trelawney, Trelawne, and Tregarrick. The only village in
the parish is the Churchtown, but it also includes Tregarrick,
Tresawsen, and Little Larnick, Hall, and the estate of Wilton.
The Online Parish Clerk for Pelynt is Sue Dent, who
can be contacted by Email.
For information about (and contact details for) the
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for
1841 to 1891
and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is
For information, see GenUKI or visit the
University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.
For more information regarding history,
population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Pelynt at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Lanreath and St Veep.
Pelynt is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.