CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive


The parish of

NEWLYN EAST

Also known as Newlyn in Pydar.

The parish of Newlyn East lies in the centre of Cornwall about 7 miles from Newquay and Truro. The village of Newlyn East has about 1400 people living in it today and the parish also includes the smaller village of Mitchell. It is possible that the ancient name was Nulyn but it is equally likely that the name is taken from St Newlina, a Welsh saint. It was not called Newlyn East until the village of Newlyn was developed on the western edge of Penzance.

The village of Mitchell was originally called Medeschole and is first recorded in written records in AD1234, when its charter was upheld. It was a wholly artificial borough created to benefit the landowners. For two hundred years it was a "Rotten Borough" returning two Members of Parliament, including Sir Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) and Sir Walter Raleigh. This all came to an end with the Reform Act of 1832.


Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Newlyn East is Mark Jose, who can be contacted at newlyneastopc@gmail.com.

For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.


PARISH INFORMATION

CENSUS:

Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.

REGISTERS:

Newlyn East Burials, A - L and M - Z, are on this website and Baptisms and Burials included in C-PROP, our searchable database. These were donated by Michael McCormick, the original OPC for the parish. The C-PROP parish coverage page is here.

DIRECTORIES:

  1830, Pigot's Directory for Truro and St Michael (Mitchell)  

For more information, see the University of Leicester's website of Historical Directories or GenUKI.

OTHER:

A Bastardy Bond, dated 30 Mar 1809, involving Joan COCKING of Probus and James MARTYN and Thomas MARTYN, both of the Borough of Mitchell.

An agreement, dated 13 Jun 1904, regarding the renting of land to William Henry MAY.

Wills:

  15 Nov 1574, Paskewe KEARNE 8 Oct 1740, John WILLIAMS
  14 Sep 1580, John ARUNDELL 18 May 1742, William PAUL, mariner
  25 Jul 1588, James VYVYAN 17 Jan 1745, Thomas HUSBAND
  31 Jan 1591, John KEARNE 18 Mar 1749, John MARTYN
  7 Aug 1598, James LANGDON 21 May 1750, Edward CHARLES
  22 Jan 1708, Enodor GULLY 22 Feb 1851, Mary TREMAIN
  28 Jan 1739, Lady Jane ARUNDELL  

For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.

MAPS:

For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Newlyn East at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.

ADJACENT PARISHES:

Perranzabuloe, Cubert, Crantock, St Columb Minor, Colan, St Enoder, Ladock, St Erme and St Allen.

ONLINE BOOKS:

  1. Newlyn East (Newlin) is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
  2. Phillimore's Marriages Vol XVI transcripts including St Newlyn in Pydar (transcribed and in our database). For the Contents page, keep clicking on Next until page 7/156 appears.