CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
ST. MICHAEL'S MOUNT
St Michael’s Mount is the island offshore from the
Town of Marazion. It is surmounted by a castle/fortress, the historic
home of the St Aubyn family and originally an abbey. That structure
contains a chapel where some religious rites of the inhabitants were
conducted. At the base of the mount, on the landward side, was the small
community where the majority of the Mount’s inhabitants resided. Those
residents were the families of fishermen and the men of the sea, the
mariners, who were a part of the coastal trading. St Michael’s Mount is
now under the control of the National Trust. There is a graveyard at the
Mount with restricted access. There are only a few gravestones
surviving, the inscriptions of which can be found on this site.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for St Michael's Mount is Al Kline,
who can be contacted by email.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
For information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Michaels Mount at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.
Accessible on foot at low tide, or by boat from Marazion.