CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
Church & War Memorial
The Parish Church & War Memorial
|© John Evans
Click thumbnails to enlarge
is located in the Hundred of Powder, bounded by St. Stephen in Brannel to the West, St. Austell in the East, and on the south, St. Ewe. The C. of E. church is dedicated to St. Mewanus, and is supposedly over 600 years old.
One of the main features of the parish is Polgooth Mine, which was once the largest in the County; in one ten-year period, upwards of five hundred thousand pounds of tin were taken from it, and for twenty years, Lord Arundell, one of the lords of the soil, received no less than one thousand pounds per annum as his share. At its production peak, many miners lived in St. Austell parish, and walked to Polgooth for their daily labour. If you cannot find your family records in the parish records of St. Mewan, please be sure to check the St. Austell website.
The principal villages are Sticker, Polgooth, and Trewoon. Each had a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, while there was a United Methodist Free Church at Treloweth.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for St Mewan is John Evans, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
website of a former OPC might be useful in your research.
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
To view a Bastardy Bond, dated 20 May 1799, mentioning Edward CULLUM of this parish, click here.
Photographs & Maps:
Many photographs are held by the Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum (and copies by the China Clay History Society), not only those related to that industry. John Evans has offered to search them for any of specific families and locations, and electronic copies would be supplied free of charge. Two examples are given below (click thumbnails to enlarge).
A large number of old O.S. Maps of many areas of Cornwall (various scales) are also available, the index is here. For the maps, please keep to the Crown Copyright as explained on the Ordnance Survey website.
|St Mewan - Littlejohns burden gang.
With tools & seated on wagon filled with stent c.1916
Group of Workmen and Captain Baglow
© Wheal Martyn & China Clay History Society
|26 May 1740, Peter & Grace PEARCE (& Probus)||6 Aug 1771, John & Ann LAY (& St Cleer)|
|6 Jan 1759, Thomas KEAM & family||1 Jan 1849, Grace CLINCH & children (& St Cleer)|
|5 Mar 1767, Ann HAWKE & daughters (& Truro)|
|6 May 1685, Samson VIAN||7 Jan 1763, Edward BODY|
|27 Mar 1686, Thomas VYAN||7 Aug 1811, Thomas BODY|
|29 Oct 1692, Michell BODDY||15 Jun 1827, Peter BODY|
|23 May 1742, Charles EDWARDS, proved 1753||15 Jan 1841, Richard HOOPER|
For further resources see GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Mewan at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.
St Mewan is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.