CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

 
The parish of

MENHENIOT

Menheniot Church
The Parish Church
© Tony Aitken
 


Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Menheniot is Sue Mutton, who can be contacted by Email.

For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.


PARISH INFORMATION

CENSUS:

Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.

REGISTERS:

For Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is here.

DIRECTORIES:

Menheniot entries in

  1. The Post Office Directory, 1856.
  2. The Post Office Directory, 1873.
  3. Kelly's Directory, 1883.
  4. Kelly's Directory, 1889.

For further information, see GenUKI or visit the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.

OTHER:

Settlement Papers:

  11 Jan 1759, Joseph TREISER & family Jan 1848, Mary Ann HARRIS & child (& St Cleer)
  10 Jun 1817, Jennifer MARK (& Luxulyan) 1848/49, Ann PAWLY and family (& Sheviock)
  18 Feb 1831, John RETALLICK (& Luxulyan & St Wenn)  

Voters Lists:

  1. 1851/52
  2. 1852/53
  3. 1864/65

Wills:

  8 May 1542, John MOREMAN, vicar 9 Feb 1751, Joseph GEACH
  15 Feb 1562, John TRELAWNEY 4 Feb 1754, Mary LYNE
  3 Oct 1568, John TRELAWNYE 19 Mar 1759, John SOBE
  20 Jul 1581, George KEKEWICHE (or St Germans) 6 Feb 1761, Joseph SOBY
  Proved 18 Nov 1590, John TREHOCKE 2 Sep 1763, Hannah MUTTON
  28 May 1600, Thomas MAYOWE 19 Oct 1781, Margrett SOBY
  26 Jun 1747, John HONY 19 Mar 1783, Elizabeth KELLY (Morval, late Menheniot)
  28 Apr 1748, Samuel SWIGG 9 Feb 1810, George HICKS
  15 Dec 1748, John ROWLY 23 Oct 1820, Robert HANCOCK
  21 Jan 1751, Elizabeth HICKES 20 Nov 1856, Richard KELLY

Other Documents:

  1. For an Indenture, dated 15 Nov 1788, concerning Davey's Trewint in this parish, click here.
  2. The Menheniot entry from Magna Britain : volume 3 by Daniel & Samuel Lysons, 1814 can be viewed here.

For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.

MAPS:

For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Menheniot at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.

ADJACENT PARISHES:

Liskeard, St Cleer, St Ive, Quethiock, Tideford and Morval.

ONLINE BOOKS:

Menheniot is included in

  1. The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
  2. The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, 1847. A brief summary of the parish starting on page 345, plus entries in the various tables found throughout the book (use the search function). A pdf is available here.
  3. A Compendium of the History of Cornwall (1880) by John Jeremiah Daniell. A brief summary on page n167 and other references throughout the book.
  4. Phillimore's Marriages Vol X transcripts (transcribed and in our database)

Menheniot
Menheniot Almshouses
© Tony Aitken