The parish of
MAWGAN IN PYDAR
St. Mawgan, a classic English Village, is nestled
round the Church and Lanherne Convent. Lanherne was the seat of the
Roman Catholic Arundel family who also had close ties to St Columb
Major. There were chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists in the
Churchtown and at Mawgan Cross, where the Bible Christians also had
The parish is bounded by the sea on one side and by
St Eval, St Ervan, St Columb Major and St Columb Minor on the
others. There is a thriving Parish History Group, headed by Bill
Rowe, which is compiling a Photographic Archive. This is, and has
always been, a farming parish, but it is also home to RAF St Mawgan,
and the civil airport for Cornwall .
Please see this page for
some Roman Catholic records and a description of the church.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Mawgan in
Pydar is Tim Johnson, who can be
Email. Please visit his
website for further records and information about the parish.
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at COCP
(the Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891
and has been verified; FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a
very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has
more reference information and alternative resources.
Many have been transcribed and are in our database, see the
parish coverage page. To search for records, please see our searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently.
The LDS Church batch numbers for this parish are:
C020923, M052901/4, Lanherne Roman Catholic P020921, M020921, M866948.
University of Leicester's website of Historical Directories.
Jun 1564, Dame Elizabeth ARUNDELL
12 Jul 1742, Richard LEWARN
1573, George ARUNDELL
Aug 1744, Mathias ELLERY
1575, Jane ARUNDELL
1745, Petter/Pitter RANDELL
Oct 1586, Edward ARRUNDELL
23 Jul 1746, William ROBERTS
Dec 1589, Sir John ARUNDELL
Jan 1747, Ann BREWER
Sep 1624, Henry MAYE
1749, John MILL
Sep 1702, John DENNIS
1751, John DENNIS
Mar 1818, naming Francis HEARLE.
transcriptions, for the surnames CRAPP and LOBB.
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Mawgan in
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
St Ervan, St Columb Major,
and St Columb Minor.
- Mawgan in Pydar is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XVI transcripts including Mawgan in Pydar
(transcribed and in our
database). For the Contents page, keep clicking on Next until page 7/156
appears. Lanherne Convent records are recorded separately in the same