CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
is an ancient Cornish parish, located in the Hundred of Penwith,
just northwest of Penzance.
In 1801, the population stood at 1,564. By 1851, it was 2,539 and currently it is just over 4,000.
Geographically, the parish is divided into two parts. Until 1835, the larger contained the mother church of Penzance.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Madron is Gwen Attridge who can be
contacted by Email.
The West Penwith website includes some pages about this parish.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
For a transcription of a marriage settlement between Thomas BOLITHO (concerning his daughter, Elizabeth) of this parish and John BORLASE of Helston, dated 13 March 1791, click here.
|28 Feb 1811, Richard NICHOLAS, William John Godolphin NICHOLLS, Anne PASCOE|
Photographs of the gravestones of Thomas Robins BOLITHO and Mary & John ROWE, are available here.
|7 Sep 1784, Jenefer Ann CALENSE & son (& Probus)||Mar-Apr 1843, William & Alice NICHOLAS & family (& St Buryan)|
|10 Apr 1748, Ralph MORRISH||7 Oct 1749, Jeremiah JELBARD|
|30 Jul 1749, William COREN||21 Oct 1753, Richard RODDA|
For information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Madron at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.
|The Parish Church
© Anthea Augustson