The parish of
is located in the Hundred of Penwith, and is neighbours with
Towednack, Lelant, St. Erth and St. Hilary, as well as the sea.
The Davy and Borlase families are prominent in the history of the
parish. The parents of Sir Humphrey Davy, President of the Royal
Society, etc., are memorialized in the church, and the following
tablet may also be found:
In memory of John POOLEY of this parish, sometimes Captain of the
Coobre mine in San Domingo, and afterwards of the Lucencia mine in
Spain, who died 2 May, 1864 aged 54 years. This monument is erected
by a friend.
One of the more interesting sites in the parish is Castle-an-Dinas,
an ancient double-walled circular fort, which has fallen into ruin.
It is estimated that one wall was 5 feet thick, and stood 4 feet
high. From the top of the hill, the spires of 27 churches may be
The principal villages, besides the Churchtown, are Crowlas, Lower
Quarter, Cockwells, Whitecross, Canonstown, and Manwinion. Wesleyan
chapels were at Crowlas, Whitecross (b. 1858), Trenewin, Newtown,
and Canonstown. The Primitive Methodists had chapels at Lower
Quarter, Cockwells, and Boswase. The Bible Christians had a chapel
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Ludgvan is Bill Curnow,
who can be contacted by
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish
council, please see
Information can be found at
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for
1841 to 1891
and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
Parish Register information and other resources, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is
For information, see GenUKI or visit the
University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.
- Transcriptions of 77 entries from a Bastardy Bonds
Register (1760 - 1820) are available
dated 28 Apr 1741, William TREVORIAN
11 Nov 1741, Richard JOHN
30 Nov 1743, John ROWE
dated 26 Jan 1746, Hosea NICHOLLS
dated 3 Nov 1746, John PEARSE
dated 12 Oct 1747, William GILLES
dated 19 Dec 1747, John MICHELL
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Ludgvan at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Lelant, St Erth,
St Hilary and
- Ludgvan is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
V transcripts including Ludgvan
(transcribed and in our