CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

The parish of


The differences between the civil (local government) and ecclesiastical (church) parish boundaries can be found by looking at the links in the Maps section below. The boundaries of the former have changed quite often. Most records on this website are based on the boundaries of the latter.

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Liskeard is Frances Kenshole, who can be contacted at
For information about, and contact details for, the current town council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.



Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.


For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is here.


  1830, Pigot's Directory  

For more information, see GenUKI or visit the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.


Bastardy/Filiation Documents:

  21 Feb 1804, John BEAL, grandfather, child's surname ADAMS  

Legal Documents:

  1. an Indenture, dated 30 May 1787, naming John TREHAWKE of Liskeard.

Manorial Records:

  1690 Rentals for the Borough of Liskeard (part of a transcription for several Manors which can be found here).
  1702-1715, Liskeard Manorial Court Records
  1705-1763, Little Deviock Manorial Records

Settlement Papers:

  11 Feb 1832, William & Susan BENNETT & family (& St Cleer) 30 May 1835, Ann JOHNS (& St Cleer)
  21 Feb 1832, Mary PRIOR (& St Cleer) 3 Feb 1862, Jane BASSETT & daughter (& St Cleer)

Voters Lists:

  1. 1851/52 for the parish
  2. 1851/52 for the borough
  3. 1852/53 for the parish
  4. 1852/53 for the borough
  5. 1861 - 1867 for the borough, parish and St Cleer, as revised by the Barristers


  4 Jun 1551, John BEALBURYE 21 Aug 1746, Merriam CANNING
  23 Nov 1562, Henry LAUXFORD 13 Oct 1746, Benjamin SOBEE/SOBY
  10 Jan 1563, Alice RESKEVER 29 Nov 1746, Jonathan DAVY
  28 May 1588, John MUNGWELL 13 May 1747, Theophilus MOON
  3 Jan 1593, William KEMPE 28 Oct 1747, John WILKEY
  Jun 1601, William GROSSE 21 Jan 1748, Thomas SYMONS
  12 Apr 1604, Robert HUNTE 24 May 1848, Nicholas MOON
  28 Jan 1606, William GROSSE 28 Sep 1748, Richard DAW
  1611?, Annis HUNT 7 Feb 1749, Denzill PINE
  23 Oct 1615, David HUNT 13 Jul 1749, Josiah HEARLE
  3 Jul 1632, Thomas GROSSE 18 Oct 1749, Richard ROBINS
  1 Jul 1648, Henry FUIDGE 3 May 1750, John PETHICK
  7 Aug 1689, Thomas WILLCOCKE 21 Jun 1750, Robert PETT
  3 Dec 1703, Jacob MOTTON 29 Nov 1750, Nathaniel TAUNTON
  5 Feb 1707, John ROOSE/ROUSE 1 Apr 1751, William MARKE
  18 Sep 1735, Joseph FLEMING 9 Jan 1752, John KITTO
  8 Mar 1736, Thomas MARKE 8 Jul 1752, John MOORSHEAD
  9 Feb 1740, Susanna PETT 9 Jul 1752, Grace PETHICK
  19 Feb 1740, Richard THORNE 29 Jan 1755, William PEAKE
  14 Jul 1741, Samuel CURTEYS 24 Sep 1783, John POMERY, includes later codicil and indenture
  26 Dec 1741, Samuell GOVET(T) 28 May 1834, Selina HONY, proved 1846
  1 Aug 1744, John REYNOLDS, mariner 10 Jun 1845, Ebenezer EDEY
  25 Jul 1745, Peter WILLIAMS 3 Jun 1848, James MILROY
  21 Apr 1746, Abel WERRY 23 Sep 1848, Jonathan ELFORD
  5 Jul 1746, Ann OSBORNE 9 May 1849, John BRYANT, admin only

Other transcribed documents (covering multiple parishes including Liskeard) link from here.

For information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI. The Liskeard Museum is also a good source of data.


For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To find the local government (civil) Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab.

The ecclesiastical (church) parish boundaries can be found by searching here on the Church of England website.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Liskeard at, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.


St Pinnock, St Neot, St Cleer, Menheniot, St Keyne and Herodsfoot.


Books available through the Cornwall Libraries:

  1. The History of the Borough of Liskeard by John Allen 1856 and revised by William Paynter in 1967. (The original version is available online here. Click on the first page link to view the whole book, page by page.)
  2. Liskeard Bygones by Jack Haworth
  3. Liskeard and its People by Bernard Deacon
  4. Liskeard Seen Through the Censuses by William Harwood


Liskeard is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.