CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
the Parish Church
|The Church interior,
(Church photos reproduced with the kind permission of Ellen McConnell.)
|The 'Ringers' Rhyme'||The Crown Inn,
photo reproduced with the kind permission of the landlord, Andrew Brotheridge
The Lanlivery parish church of St Brevita has a tower that is 100 feet high and one of the finest in Cornwall. The Churchyard is the centre of the rural village. This Churchyard is relatively small, with approximately 222 memorials. The site is flat, however the burial areas may be uneven, with many headstones and monuments.
In the church tower, there is the "ringers rhyme" which is pictured above. The bells still ring out over the modern day parish, and they make a splendid sound.
The Lanlivery pub, The Crown Inn (pictured above) is a 12th century long house with low beams slate floors and open fires. It is directly on the "Saints Way" - a walk across Cornwall once undertaken by cattle drovers from Ireland "fat walking" the cattle from Padstow to Fowey avoiding sailing around Lands End. Then embarking the animals at Fowey to sail to France. Pilgrims joined these drovers and built churches on the route. Much of the present building still dates from the 12th century although the pub was extended to house the stonemasons who built the charming church of St Brevita, which is located just behind the pub.
|The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Lanlivery is Pauline Pickup,
who can be contacted at
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.
The OPC's transcriptions of 1841 and 1851 are available here and she offers look-ups from 1861 to 1901.
Further Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
The following Lanlivery look-ups are available from
Marriages: up to 1813 (Phillimores) & 1813 - 1910
Marriage banns: 1906 - 1989
Burials: 1769 - 1783, 1804 - 1807, 1813 - 2000
Non-conformist baptisms: Some records have been transcribed
Some marriages of strays are available here (people from Lanlivery who married elsewhere).
Images of Lanlivery registers are available on the Family Search website. Click the browse through link near the bottom of the page.
Various trade directories are available for look-ups and the following are online:
St Brevita, the Parish Church, has its own website.
People & Families:
|Aug & Sep 1755, Joseph NICHOLLS & family||15 Jun 1766, Jonathan COLLIVER & family (& Luxulyan)|
|31 Oct 1757, Richard PUCKEY & family||26 Mar 1788, William WERRY & family (& Luxulyan)|
|19 Apr 1759, Benjamin GARLAND & family||8 Nov 1847, Prudence HAWKE (& St Breock)|
|1765 & 1766, Catherine SYMONS|
War Memorial, 1914-18:
A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
|3 Jul 1547, Peter AMYS/AMYE||12 May 1735, William SAMWELL|
|22 Sep 1561, John TREWBODYE||21 Sep 1743, Joan POUND|
|12 Sep 1580, Nicholas KENDALL||22 Oct 1743, Nicholas LEE|
|28 May 1593, Walter KENDALL||24 Feb 1744, Henry HICK|
|4 Nov 1604, Peter TREWBODY (& later inquisition)||23 Aug 1745, Benjamin HAWKEY|
|17 Aug 1656, John BAWDEN||15 Sep 1746, Bond relating to the estate of Dinah SAMWELL|
|16 Dec 1656, Lawrence HELLMAN||20 May 1748, John LITTLETON|
|29 May 1658, Nicholas TREWBODYE||14 Oct 1781, Phillippa KILLYOW|
|17 Aug 1640, John SKORY||30 Jul 1790, William SAMWELL|
|5 Dec 1644, Charles TREWBODYE||19 Dec 1795, William SAMWELL|
|13? May 1668, Ann SAMUELL||4 Feb 1809, Smith FLETCHER|
|21 May 1671, John SCORY/SKORY||23 Apr 1823, John SAMWELL of Lostwithiel|
|4 Aug 1677, Peter TREWBODY||13 Nov 1830, William BESWATHERICK|
|10 Jan 1689, Lawrence BAWDEN||22 Feb 1843, Thomas HILL|
|12 Feb 1691, Sibella TREWBODY||30 Aug 1860, William BATE|
|23 Apr 1728, Francis BRYNN||5 Aug 1869, William HIGGS|
|15 Nov 1733, William SAMWELL|
Indentures & Other Documents:
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Lanlivery at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.
|Helman Tor is an ancient Neolithic tor enclosure with magnificent views over Cornwall from north to south coasts. To read more about it, please follow this link|
© Pauline Pickup
Click thumbnails to enlarge