CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
|Online Parish Clerk||Maps|
|General Description||Parish Registers|
|Census||Other Genealogy Data|
|Directories||Photographs of Lanivet & Nanstallon|
Lanivet Village c. 1900
Lanivet is a village and parish in the North Cornwall district, and is some 2 and 1/2 miles from Bodmin. The parish includes the hamlets of Bodwanick, Bokiddick, Lamorick, St. Ingunger, Trebell, Tregullon, Tremoore, and Woodly. Part of St. Lawrance is also in this parish. It is geographically the centre of Cornwall. The parish shares its boundaries with on the north Bodmin, on the east Bodmin and Lanhydrock, on the south Lanlivery and Luxulyan, and on the west Roche and Withiel. Lanivet means the 'Church site (lann), at Neved' At one time Lanivet had eleven copper mines, now all closed.
With so many parishes on its boundaries, if your ancestors cannot be found here, please check with the neighbouring parishes, as I have found that it was all to easy for them to "stray".
© Pauline Pickup
The church is dedicated to St. Nivet, and dates from the 15th
century. It is now a Grade 1 listed building. The bells in the tower
of the church are both ancient and valuable. Now a full
octave set to the key of F, they are currently housed in a chamber on the
second floor of the tower some seventy feet, or perhaps more
significantly seventy spiralling steps above ground level. From a
brief history of the bells prepared in conjunction with an appeal
for funds in 1924, it is learnt that in the thirtieth year of the
reign of King Henry the eighth, 1539, a number of bells, which is
believed to have been four, were purchased for the sum of £36/14/6
(£36 72p) the receipt for which was signed by a John Tregons. A
terrier drawn up by the Reverend John Vashon, the Rector of Lanivet
from 1701 to 1738, states that in the year 1727 there were five bells
in the tower "lately newe cast". In 1808
these bells were again recast by John Pennington of Stoke Climsland
and they currently occupy positions 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the octave.
Although no mention has been found of the addition of a sixth bell
between 1808 and 1869 it is known that one was acquired because in
1869 it has been recorded that the tenor, the heaviest bell in the
tower had cracked and it had to be
recast by John Taylor & Co the Bellfounders of Loughborough in
© Mark Collins (www.roughwood.net)
Lanivet Methodist Church
© Pauline Pickup
John Taylor & Co will say that this bell too was originally cast in 1808 by the Pennington family. The appeal of 1924 was launched to finance a most ambitious project which would see the replacement of the wooden frame on which the six bells were mounted by a composite construction comprising cast iron frame sides mounted upon a foundation of rolled steel girders with the girders taking their bearings in the tower walls. At this time too, two further treble or smaller bells were acquired, it is believed from the old Priory at Bodmin and all the bells were refurbished and mounted on ball bearings. Little wonder then that the church bells at Lanivet are considered by some to represent the Rolls-Royce of bell installations!
Pictured below left is the former Bible Christian Chapel and Sunday School, now the main place of worship for Methodists in Lanivet. The chapel was built in 1883, and the Sunday School built in 1908 was rebuilt in 1992.
Another interesting building in the village is St Benet's Abbey, which was built in 1411. St Benets is at the half-way point of the Saints Way, a medieval route taken by pilgrims on their way from Ireland to France which crosses from Padstow to Fowey.
More photographs available here.
|The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Lanivet is Pauline Pickup,
who can be contacted at
For details and contact information for the current parish council, see this website.
Contact details for the church (now part of the Bodmin Team ministry) can be found here.
The OPC offers look-ups from 1841 to 1901.
Further Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
Marriage look-ups available from Phillimore's Transcripts (1608 - 1812) and from Parish Registers (1813 - 1910); Burials from 1813 -1837. Some non-conformist Registers are also available.
Some marriages of strays are available here (people from Lanivet who married elsewhere).
The IGI includes baptisms from 1608 - 1875 (index only).
Various trade directories are available for look-ups and the following are online:
1852-53 entries from Slater's Directory (superseded Pigot's Directory).
1873 entries from the Post Office Directory.
1883 entries from Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall.
1893 entries from Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall.
1897 entries from Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall
1902 entries from Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall.
1914 entries from Kelly's Directory of Devon and Cornwall.
Some names and details are available here.
|Mar & Apr 1755, Robert VAGUE & family||21 May 1832, Isabella GROSE & children (& Luxulyan)|
|27 May 1762, William HAWKEN & family||9 Sep 1834, Catherine, James, John & Jenny WILLINGTON (& Lux)|
|14 Nov 1765, John STEPHENS & family (& Luxulyan)||19 Sep 1840, Martha PHILLIPPS (& Luxulyan)|
|5 Mar 1767, Grace WOOLLCOCK (& Luxulyan)||3 Jun 1843, Thomas & Ann WARAM & children (& St Breock)|
|2 Dec 1773, Elizabeth ROSEVEAR (& Luxulyan)||24 Aug 1847, Elizabeth WOOLCOCK & children (& Luxulyan)|
|16 Feb 1789, John BENNETT (& Luxulyan)||24 Jan 1849, Nicholas GROSE (& Luxulyan)|
|21 Jun 1792, Elizabeth ALLEN (& Luxulyan)||1849/50, Ann BARRETT (& Sheviock)|
|10 Jul 1809, Alice GROSE (& Luxulyan)|
|16 Dec 1592, Thomas MALETT||31 Jan 1742, Francis COLE|
|17 Jun 1602, Richard HOBBE||6 Apr 1744, Peter WILLINGTON|
|10 Feb 1608, Edmond HAYNES||25 May 1745, Thomas HICKS|
|1 Feb 1651, Udye HENDRA||12 May 1747, Edward HARRIS|
|20 Nov 1679, Pathericke JENKYN||28 Jul 1748, John LUKEY|
|7 Oct 1682, Rescemar SPRAGUE||30 Jul 1765, Thomas NEVIL|
|14 Jun 1716, Elizabeth CARHART||27 Sep 1832, Walter HOOPER|
|25 Jun 1736, James VASHON||28 Sep 1847, William GOSS|
|22 Feb 1741, Richard BULLOCK||28 Feb 1860, Elizabeth MARSHALL|
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Lanivet at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.