CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
|Ladock Parish Church|
|Photographs © John Evans
Click thumbnails below to enlarge
|Tower & Porch||Font||War Memorial*|
|* Great War 1914 - 1911 names: F Beard, F. M. Biddick, F. H. Brewer, H. J. Brewer, O. A. Brown, R. C. Cate, J. Dennis, A. Ellens, L. Ford, T. S. Gent, R. Goodman, W. R. Goodman, W. T. Jones, l. R. Miners, F. Parsons, W. T. Rowe, H. J. Sleeman, J. S. Wearne|
The parish of Ladock is in mid Cornwall, about 6
miles north east of the City of Truro. Extending to almost 6,000 acres,
it has the parishes of Newlyn East and St Enoder to the north, St
Stephen in Brannel to the east, Probus to the south, and St Erme to the
west. Essentially agricultural in nature, nevertheless tin streaming
took place in most of the valleys, and in 1802 the largest gold nugget
(now on display in Truro Museum) was discovered in the Ladock River.
The parish takes its name from the patron saint of the parish church, St Ladoca, about whom little is known, although she is reputed to have come to Cornwall with St Piran. The church stands in an elevated position above the settlement of Bissick in the valley, and still has some Norman elements – notably in the north wall and transept. Most of the church, however, dates from the 15th century, and was in turn "restored" in 1864.
There is a chapel in Grampound Road, a village on the border of Ladock and Probus, and there were formerly chapels in Bissick, New Mills and Scarcewater, close to the boundary with St Stephen in Brannel, although all three of them, alas, are no longer in use for worship, and all have been converted to dwellings.
The B3275 road, which passes through the settlement of Bissick, was formerly part of the toll road linking Truro and Bodmin, and one of its distinctive toll houses can still be seen on the northern side of the road approaching Brighton Cross.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Ladock is John Evans, who can be contacted at email@example.com.
The previous OPC maintained a website, which might be useful for family research.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
|1722, Manor of Trenowth/Trenoweth|
These are a goldmine of information on many parish residents.
|18 May 1756, John & Dinah COLLINS & family (& Probus)||28 Mar 1784, William COURTENAY & daughters|
|14 Dec 1765, James GRIEVE (& Probus)||25 Jun 1801, Ann PAPPIN (& Probus)|
A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
|11 May 1589, Richard ESTCOTTE||25 Nov 1745, Peter BUCKINGHAM|
|12 Apr 1614, Robart/Robert HITCHINGE||7 Apr 1747, William BOND|
|3 Dec 1741, Elizabeth HUDDY||1782, Walter CARLYON|
|20 Apr 1745, Samuel MINERS|
Indentures and Other Documents:
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Ladock at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.