The parish of
Gunwalloe Church Cove, circa 1950 - from a collected postcard
|Gunwalloe (sometimes called Winninton) is a
parish on the coast, north-west of the Lizard, 12 miles south-west of
Falmouth, and four miles south of Helston. Gunwalloe is a small rural
parish, with no major towns, and a few smaller villages and hamlets,
including Chyanvounder, Chyvarloe, Berepper and Winnianton. The village
school was at Berepper where an average of 20 pupils attended in the
1880s. There were only a few commercial premises, at Berepper and
Chyanvounder, namely a shop, the Ship Inn, and a Blacksmith. The other
commercial ventures revolved mainly around farming.
|The church of St Wynwallow is set behind a small headland, and is of a
most unusual design with a detached tower set into the solid rock of the
headland. The Church is located just to the south of Winnianton, and to
the west of The Towans, an area of sandy plains. The Parish is bordered on the
north-west by the Looe pool, which backs up behind the Looe Bar, and
when the bar is breached it is said to be a most spectacular event as
the fresh water mixes with the sea water.
A number of shipwrecks have occurred around Gunwalloe's coast,
principally near Poldhu Cove, including the HMS Anson, a ship of 40 guns
which founded in 1807 with the loss of the Captain and several crew.
Source: Post Office Directories of Cornwall, 1883 and
More photographs below.
|The Online Parish Clerk
(Genealogy) for Gunwalloe is Ken Oates, who can be
contacted by Email.
Message from the OPC:
I hold transcriptions of many Parish records
Please check below for links to the data on this website, or feel
free to contact me with questions.
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish
meeting, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete for
1841 to 1891 and has been verified,
FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate
Transcriptions on this website: -
1717 - 1787
; 1788 -
1813 - 1901
For further Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently and GenUKI. The parish
coverage page for C-PROP is here.
For information, see the University of
Leicester's website of Historical Directories
1834 Voters' List for this parish.
Gunwalloe Clergy, from 1208 AD to today.
For information regarding history, population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Gunwalloe at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
1. The Churches And Antiquities Of Cury And Gunwalloe In The Lizard
District: Including Local Traditions (1875) by Rev Alfred Hayman
2. Around Helston in the Old Days by A.S. Oates
3. A COMPENDIUM OF THE HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY OF CORNWALL By the
REV. J. J. DANIELL, Fourth Edition, Revised by Thurstan C. Peter, 1908.
4. The Droll-Teller's Dream - a History of Cury and Gunwalloe from
the Iron Age to the Mid Nineteenth Century, by FOOT, Rev Paul
5. The Saints of Cornwall. Part 2: Saints of the Lizard District
by Gilbert H. Doble Published by Holywell Press, 1962
Mawgan in Meneage,
Gunwalloe is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume
II by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page 126). Also downloadable as a pdf.
Gunwalloe Parish Church
|Click thumbnails to enlarge
Church - Bell Tower, Porch & St Wynwalloe
Church - East End
Church - Rood Screen Loft Doorway
Church - Nave & Chancel
Church - Font
Coast behind Church
|Photographs © John Evans