The parish of
FALMOUTH, King Charles
© Charles Winpenny, 2004
|Pendennis Castle, 2002
© Karen Start
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Falmouth, King Charles is Louise Haywood,
who can be contacted at
For information about (and contact details for) the current town
council, please see
Falmouth Town Council's website is
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete for
1841 to 1891 and has been verified,
FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as
GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative
For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish
coverage page for C-PROP is here.
Transcripts of other register information
available on this website -
Society of Friends/Quaker
(1837 - 1897),
(1839 - 1894),
(1837 - 1908) use zoom to view.
Falmouth Union Workhouse
1866 - 1914
Falmouth Burial Ground records are online on
the Town Council's
Some Burials records for the Dissenters' Burying
Ground, Ponsharden are in our database. Restoration work on the cemetery
is described and illustrated on
For information, see the University of
Leicester's website of Historical Directories
Bastardy Bonds: - these usually name the local
Churchwardens, Overseers of the Poor and Justices of the Peace, as well as the
||Falmouth, King Charles - Some MIs are in our database, from
both the interior of the Church and the Graveyard. Full
||Falmouth, Ponsharden - MIs are in our database and the site
plan is reproduced
with the permission of Robert Nunn & Tom Weller. See
this external link for details of the book which contains
more information and photographs.
13 Apr 1774, Bridget JAMES (& Truro)
24 Aug 1813, Elizabeth HAMPTON (& Truro)
20 Oct 1787, William BAKER (& Truro)
Jan-Nov 1848, Mary JONES (& Budock)
11 Mar 1794, Thomas SOBEY & children (& Truro)
Nov 1848, Hugh BONDS (& Budock)
31 Jan 1805, Lucy SAMPSON (& St Clement)
Feb 1849, Elizabeth KITTO & children (& Budock)
25 Feb 1806, Catherine WEEKS (& Probus)
Jul-Aug 1858, Richard WARNE (& Budock)
1832 for Parish of Falmouth.
for the Town of Falmouth.
(corrected version of an 1832 list) for the Town of Falmouth, election of
Knights of the Shire.
1834 (corrected version of an 1832 list) for the Parish of Falmouth,
election of Knights of the Shire.
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
1866-1911, Falmouth Union Workhouse births
dated 21 Dec 1894,
a list of lunatic paupers
- A pdf file of
billboards, naming businesses from several parishes and some of
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Falmouth at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Falmouth All Saints (post-1889),
Budock and, across the estuary,
Darling-Finan, N, (2001) Images of Bygone Falmouth, Breedon Books
Davies, A, (1989) The History of the Falmouth Working Boats,
Cornwall Lithographic Printers
Gay, S.E., (1903) Old Falmouth. The story of the town from the days
of the Killigrews to the earliest part of the 19th century., Headley
Gilson, P., (1990) Falmouth in Old Photographs, Alan Sutton
Gilson, P., (1992) The Lower Fal in Old Photographs, Alan Sutton
Gilson, P., (1994) The Upper Fal in Old Photographs, Alan Sutton
Kempthorne, J.L., (1928) Falmouth Parish Church, The Cornish Echo
Newman, R, (11th edition) The Charm of The Fal, J.H.Lake & Co.
Wallace, M.L., (1949) The Story of the Parish of All Saints Falmouth
1924-1949, Parrett & Neves Ltd.
The Falmouth Packets, David Mudd
Bygone Falmouth, Sheila Bird
Falmouth's Famous Past, Bob Dunstan
The History of Falmouth, James Whetter
Falmouth Haven: The Maritime History of a Great West Country Port,
The History of the Royal Cornwall Yacht Club 1871-1949, Lt Col
History and Description of the Town and Harbour of Falmouth,
- Falmouth is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume
II by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n7). Also downloadable as a pdf.
Old Falmouth, The Story of the Town from the Days of the Killigrews to
the Earliest Part of the 19th Century, by Susan E. Gay
All Photographs c.1890/1900 & © Malcolm McCarthy
Click thumbnails to enlarge
|Town View 1
|Town View 2
|Town from Trefusis
|View of Pendennis Castle
||St. Anthony's Lighthouse
Town View 1 - abt 1898 as it shows the addition to
The Falmouth Hotel. It should be noted that Cliff Road (along the sea
front) doesn’t exist.
Town View 2 - view from Castle Hill looking across
the town. Falmouth Hotel on the left. Taken abt 1895. Next to the Hotel
were five separate dwellings (now it’s The Madeira Hotel) one of which
housed the Coastguard Paymaster. To the right of these are the offices
of the Headquarters of the Falmouth coastguard (seen to the right of the
Penryn Viaduct - viaduct was built in the mid 1860s
(opened in August 1863). The photo shows the original timber frame
probably in the 1890s. It used a fan design on granite pillars. There
were 15 spans. Its total length was 964ft & it stood 102ft above College
Woods. It was replaced in the 1930s with a stone structure.
Kimberley Park - named after the Earl of Kimberley
who leased the land to Falmouth. The gardens pre date 1877, photograph
likely to be c. 1890.
St. Anthony's Lighthouse - built in 1834-5. The
lighthouse was equipped with the two ton fog bell in 1882 (which can
clearly be seen in the photo). Photo possibly taken abt. 1890.