CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
The parish of
St Erme is now called St Erme with Trispen, the result of the amalgamation of two hamlets. They were joined together by the construction of a large estate in the 1970s. The village is about 4 miles north of Truro and is bounded by St Allen, St Clement, Ladock and Probus. The village is fortunate in that it has a shop (including post office), church and pub. Once it was a largely agricultural parish, but now most inhabitants work in Truro, making it a dormitory village.
The church is dedicated to Erme, or Hermes. St Erme was a Greek, martyred in Rome about AD132. He is a little-known saint, with no churches in England and only three in Cornwall. The dedication dates from before the Norman Conquest and was endowed by the Lord of the Manor of Polsew, which was listed in the Domesday Book.
Information can be found at COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
For a Bastardy Bond, dated 10 Jan 1703, naming John FRANCIS and William FRANCIS of this parish, click here.
A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Erme at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.