CREED with GRAMPOUND
|Creed Parish Church
|Photographs © John Evans
Click thumbnails below to enlarge
|Pulpit & Chancel
||Nave & Chancel
Creed is a parish in mid Cornwall extending to about
2,600 acres. It is essentially an agricultural area, bounded on the
north by St Stephen in Brannel, on the east by St Ewe, on the south by
Cuby, and on the west by Probus. Within the parish, however, is the
ancient (and formerly important) township of Grampound – a corruption of
the Norman French "Graundpount", or "grand pont", by which the
settlement was known at that time. Its charter dates from the 1330’s,
giving its inhabitants the right to hold a weekly market and other
privileges. Former occupations in the borough included tanning, woollen
manufacturing and glove making.
From the time of Edward VI the borough of Grampound sent two members to
Parliament, until 1824 when the borough had the questionable distinction
of being the only rotten borough to be disenfranchised for bribery prior
to the Reform Act of 1832. William Noye and John Hampden (of ship-money
fame) are perhaps the most famous to have represented the burgesses of
The parish church is dedicated to St Crida, said to have been the
daughter of King Mark, and (according to legend) she founded a community
of Celtic Christian nuns on the site. Anciently the parish was taxed
under the name of Tybesta – in Cornish the house of bullocks, on account
of its fertile lands – and was the home of the Court Baron of the
Hundred of Powder.
Because of the distance from the principal settlement of Grampound to
the parish church, a licence to celebrate Divine Service in the borough
was granted in 1370, although the church there was variously referred to
as the church of St Mary or St Barnabus in addition to its true
dedicatee St Naunter or St Nun. Historically there was also reputed to
be a holy well and chapel at Trevillick.
The volunteer as OPC (Genealogy) for Creed with Grampound is
John Evans, who can be contacted at
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete
for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified,
FreeCens at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
Our searchable database (C-PROP) is
updated frequently and contains full transcriptions, as well as other resources.
The C-PROP parish coverage page is
here. For further Parish Register
information, please see GenUKI.
1830, Pigot's Directory for Grampound (& Tregony)
1852-53, Slater's Directory for Grampound
Directories for Cornwall can be searched online
other information, see GenUKI.
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
24 Nov 1599,
1 Sep 1750,
1610, Stephenn HOARNABACKE (nuncupative)
19 Feb 1751,
Jun 1719, Roger TEAGE
30 Mar 1751,
1749, Mary WOLRIGE
1751, James SECOMBE
1750, Mary HOCKING
15 Oct 1785,
Other Probate material abstracts can be found on the
19th. Century, newspaper cuttings about (1) Hale Boate Rocke &
(2) the condition of Creed Churuch
26 Dec 1885, consecration of additional burial
As always, additional information can be found in
the Cornwall section of
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Creed at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
St Stephen in Brannel,
St Ewe and Cuby.
- Creed is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n290). Also downloadable as a pdf.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XXVI transcripts including Creed (with Grampound)
(transcribed and in our
database). For the Contents page, keep clicking Next until page 7/218
|Town Hall & St Nun's Church,
|Photographs © John Evans
Click thumbnails to enlarge