The parish of
The Parish Church
Constantine is situated in the deanery and Hundred of Kerrier, and is
one of the largest Parishes in Cornwall. In 1869, it was bounded on the
east by Budock and Mawnan, on the south by Helford Creek, which
separates it from Manaccan, St Martins and Mawgan-in-Meneage, and on the
west and north by Wendron, Stithians and Mabe. The parish is named after
its patron, Saint Constantine. The village is mentioned in the Domesday
Book of 1086 as Saint Constantin.
The population of the parish is just over 2,000,
about half living in the village of Constantine itself, and the rest in other
smaller villages or hamlets - Gweek, Seworgan, Brill, Port Navas, Budock Vean,
Helford Passage - or on isolated farms.
On approaching Constantine, the high tower of the
Church stands prominently upon an ancient mound that is probably the remains of
an original Celtic monastery. Built between 1420-1480, it is dedicated to St.
Constantine who, according to legend, was a chieftain or prince around the 5th
century A.D. From the main porch the view southwards is superb, with a deep
valley ahead and the Goonhilly Downs beyond.
Employment over the centuries has centred on the
river, farming and granite quarries. Now, with very little quarrying done, and
no schooners and barques using the river, tourism is very important, with lots
of vessels enjoying the river with its beautiful creeks and small beaches.
Walkers, garden lovers and golfers all recharge their batteries in this lovely
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Constantine is Damien Willey,
who can be contacted at
Damien's website for this Parish can be viewed
Contact details for the current parish council can be found
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to
1891 and validated,
at Rootsweb - both are free, searchable databases - or check
For Parish Register information, please see our searchable database (C-PROP)
which is updated frequently or
C-PROP coverage page is
Please visit the University
of Leicester's Directories website, which has many directories online to
view for free.
- dated 31 Dec 1790,
naming James MITCHELLS of this Parish
2 Apr 1817, Richard & Jane HILL & family (& Probus)
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
For a document dated 28 Dec 1894, listing lunatic
Constantine Heritage Collection includes archives and photographs.
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Constantine at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Stithians and Wendron.
- Constantine is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n276). Also downloadable as a pdf.
The Circle, or Historical Survey of Sixty Parishes and Towns in Cornwall,
by William Penaluna, first published in 1819.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XV transcripts including Constantine
(transcribed and in our