The parish of
The Parish Church of St Meubred
© Pauline Pickup 2008
Cardinham has existed for more
than 1000 years and is one of the Cornish parishes not carrying the same
name as the saint for whom the church is named (St Meubred). The name is
Cornish from "Car" or "Caer" which means "enclosure" or "fort," and "dinas"
which may also mean "fortress." It is assumed from the name that there
has been a castle or fortress there since ancient times, and it is
thought that the castle was built there about 1080 by Robert of Mortain,
a half-brother to William the Conqueror. The castle was occupied by
Robert Fitz-Turold and his descendants for about 200-300 years. The
family used the family name "de Cardinan," taken from this place. The
castle was a very short distance to the south and east of the church. It
is on private land, but almost nothing remains there.
The present church dates from about the 15th century, and was repaired
after some damage from an errant bomb during World War 2. The church and
parish maintain their own identity with regular services, but currently
share a vicar with Warleggan and St Neot parishes.
It is sparsely populated without commerce or significant industry. The
land area is more than 9000 acres, and the population during the past
200 years has been generally between 400-800 persons. Most of the
properties are farm land, with small clusters of houses near the church
and at Millpool, about 1½ miles to the north.
There are two cemeteries, the original being the church yard of the
Parish Church of Cardinham (St Meubred's Church). There is a newer
cemetery nearby, only a few meters down the hill southward and on the
opposite side of the road. The parish registers include the burials in
both locations without distinguishing which burial ground. The OS grid
reference is approximately 123687.
The parish registers of baptisms, banns, marriages, and burials are
extant beginning in 1701. Earlier records were apparently lost and are
not known to exist. There are a few Bishops Transcripts dating back to
1675, but coverage is not complete. Although Fletchers Bridge, Turfdown,
and Margate are in Bodmin Borough, most of the church events for those
living there were in the Cardinham Parish.
Both Wesleyan Methodists and Bible Christian adherents lived in the
parish, but jurisdictions do not follow Anglican boundary lines. Most
records are to be found in the Bodmin Wesleyan Circuit, the Bodmin Bible
Christian Circuit, and the Liskeard Bible Christian Circuit, although
baptisms were occasionally performed by someone farther afield,
especially among the Bible Christians. There have been non-conformist
chapels in the hamlets of Millpool and Fletchers Bridge, as well as
Cardinham. The Methodist Chapel at Millpool holds regular services,
while no services are currently being held in the chapel at Cardinham
village, and the chapel building at Fletchers Bridge has passed into
Civil registration is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been
since the inception of registration in 1837.
The Online Parish Clerk for Cardinham is David Coppin, who
can be contacted by Email.
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to
1891 and validated,
at Rootsweb - both are free, searchable databases - or check
For Parish Register information, please see our searchable database (C-PROP)
which is updated frequently or GenUKI. The C-PROP parish
coverage page is here.
Please visit the University
of Leicester's Directories website, which has many directories online to
view for free.
dated 18 Jul 1579, between William BILLINGE and Sir John ARUNDELL,
dated 10 Mar 1639, involving William EVANS of Cardinham,
dated 4 May 1698, involving Patrick BUNT,
dated 5 May 1698, mentioning Patrick BUNT and
John GOODING of Cardinham,
dated 30 May 1698, involving Patrick BUNT,
dated 31 May 1698, involving Patrick BUNT,
dated 17 Nov 1705, mentioning Patherick BUNT and
dated 22 Apr 1763, involving Petherick BUNT,
dated 28 Sep 1772, involving Petherick BUNT and
John SIMONS, mentioning Thomas POMERY, Elizabeth RUNDLE (formerly POMERY),
Richard SIMONS, Jane SIMONS and George SIMONS,
dated 25 Jan 1731, mentioning Antony LOBB,
William LOBB, Richard POLLARD and his son and William EVANS,
dated 24 Dec 1737, involving Thomas LOBB, Thomas
WILLS, Richard POLLARD, William EVANS, James EVORY, Samuel SMITH, William
SLYMON and son and Anthony HENWOOD,
dated 29 Apr 1754, involving John HILL and
Ambrose DOW, mentioning John KITT, William SLYMAN, Anne PROUT, Thomas and
8 Nov 1811,
concerning land and property in Lanivet, but naming Edmund John GLYNN.
Sep 1858, concerning land and property in Warleggan, but mentioning
Petherick BUNT of this parish.
Other documents mentioning several parishes,
including Cardinham, can be found
Gravestone: The Memorial Inscription for John OUGH,
buried 7 October 1775.
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a Parish Locator map, please click
Cardinham can be located at coordinates H - 6.
For further map information, please visit
GenUKI (Genealogy - United Kingdom
To see a current, zoomable Ordnance Survey map, please visit
MultiMap, or for maps and satellite
Bradock, St Winnow and
- Cardinham is included in
The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n206). Also downloadable as a pdf.
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
IV transcripts including Cardynham
(transcribed and in our