The parish of
Postcard published by J. Venning, The Post Office, Callington
Originally a Saxon settlement and mentioned in the
Domesday Book as Calwetone, Callington is now a busy market town,
with a population of about five thousand people, and is the home of Ginsters Cornish Pasties.
More information and photographs can be found on the
The school (pictured left) has featured in the
education of many local people. As Callington Grammar School, its catchment area included 11+ students from Stokeclimsland, St
Dominick and Calstock parishes. It is now the home of Callington
The railway shed
(pictured right) was part of Callington station at Kelly Bray, some
distance from the town itself. The local landmark of Kit Hill can be
seen in the distance.
The part of the
branch line from Gunnislake to Kelly Bray closed in 1966, as part of
the Beeching Axe. The last train left Callington on 5 November, to
the sound of detonators & fireworks, and carrying a wreath.
Part of Callington Railway Station at Kelly Bray
The volunteer OPC (Genealogy) for Callington is Jenny Elliston, who
can be contacted at
For information about (and contact details for) the current town
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to
1891 and validated,
at Rootsweb - both are free, searchable databases - or check GenUKI for
For Parish Register information, please see our searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently.
other examples, visit the University
of Leicester's Directories website, which has many directories online to
view for free.
Sep 1783, naming Mary BENNETT of Pillaton and John BARTLETT of this
February 1836, concerning land in St Blazey but mentioning William and
Mary PETHERICK of this parish.
- An article concerning
William BARTLETT (1837 -
1882), born Callington, hanged for a murder committed whilst he was Foreman of Messrs
Freeman’s Colkerrow Granite Quarry, Lanlivery.
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
1733, Elizabeth BOND
Nov 1745, John JOPE
16 Jan 1737, George KNILL
May 1746, Grace TREIS
18 Jan 1737, Robert MANATON
||7 Aug 1746, John KEAST
Apr 1738, James HAYE, proved 1751
||11 May 1854, William GARLAND
21 Nov 1740, Joan BOWHAY
For more information regarding history, population,
etc., visit GenUKI.
For a Parish Locator map, please click
Callington can be located at coordinates J/K - 6.
For further map information, please visit
GenUKI (Genealogy - United Kingdom
To see a current, zoomable Ordnance Survey map, visit
MultiMap, or for maps and satellite
South Hill, Stoke Climsland,
Dominick and St Mellion.
- Callington is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n190). Also downloadable as a pdf.
Also found in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume
II under Kellington.
The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, A.M. F.S.S., then Vicar of
Bodmin, printed 1847. If the in-built search produces no results, use the
index pages (474-476) to find your parish of interest. Tables of statistics
and other data can be found at the beginning of the book, starting at page
Venning's New Century Postal Directory of 20 Parishes in East Cornwall,
published 1901. Included several pages of advertisements from local
businesses, as well as being a parish directory