The parish of
The Parish Church
© David Coppin
Braddock aka Bradoc
or Broadoak (Cornish: Brodhek) is a parish in the Hundred of
West, situated about 7 miles west of Liskeard, and 5 miles south-east of
Bodmin. There is no village centre as such, the parish consisting of
isolated farms, the parish church and the hamlets of Middle and West
Taphouse. Since 1837 the parish has been part of the civil registration
district of Liskeard.
The ecclesiastical parishes of Braddock and Boconnoc were united in
1742. Braddock church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. Pevsner (1970)
states that the earliest parts of the building are Norman but an aisle
and a tower were added in the 15th century. The font is Norman and there
are many good examples of woodcarving in the church: these include the
bench ends, part of the rood screen, wagon roofs, an Elizabethan pulpit
and two carved panels perhaps of the 18th century.
In 1845, the
four bells which had not been rung for many years, were taken down
and sent by sea to the Whitechapel Bellfoundry in London to be recast
into five new bells, which rang their first peal on Easter Sunday 1846.
A notable incumbent was the Reverend Arthur Tatham, who served as Rector
of Braddock and Boconnoc for over 40 years from 1832 until a few months
before his death in 1874 and was also a Prebendary of Exeter Cathedral.
He was the son of Charles Heathcote Tatham (1772-1842), the noted
English architect and designer, and brother of Frederick Tatham,
sculptor and painter.
The Battle of Braddock Down
The Battle of Braddock Down took place on 19 January 1643 during the
English Civil War, and was a crushing defeat for the parliamentarian
army. Sir Ralph Hopton’s royalist forces had been camped the night
before the battle at nearby Boconnoc and were surprised on breaking camp
in the morning when their vanguard of dragoons encountered enemy
parliamentarian cavalry already deployed on the east side of Braddock
Down. General Ruthven, the parliamentarian commander, had been unwilling
to wait for the Earl of Stamford’s reinforcements to arrive at Liskeard
and, perhaps wishing to claim the expected defeat of Hopton as his own,
had marched out to challenge the royalist army. The defeat of the
parliamentarians was achieved with apparently little effort to the
Royalists but at great cost to the enemy. Cornwall was placed back under
Royalist control and Hopton’s reputation was secured.
Today a stone monument marks the
spot, although access to the site is difficult as there are no public
footpaths and the roads that traverse the battlefield are narrow with
Although the Down was open common grazing land at the time of the
battle, the land to the west around Braddock church appears already to
have been enclosed by 1643. There one can see examples of the typical
stone faced and banked Cornish hedges, that have bounded such enclosures
since the 17th century.
The population in 1801 was 173, rising to 303 by 1841 and 289 in 1891,
the main occupation being farming.
The Online Parish Clerk for Bradock is Kay Halley, who can
be contacted by
For the current contact details for Broadoak Parish Meeting, see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to
1891 and validated, FreeCens
at Rootsweb - both are free, searchable databases - or check
For Parish Register information and
other resources, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP), which is updated frequently, and GenUKI. The parish
coverage page for C-PROP is here.
Directories for Cornwall can be searched online
other information, see GenUKI (ink below).
A list of Ratepayers and properties for
Indentures & Other Legal Documents:
1769 document concerning the SPILLER family and land in Braddock
For 1851/52, 1852/53 and 1856/57 are available
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
For more information regarding history, population,
etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Broadoak at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Braddock is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n152). Also downloadable as a pdf.