The parish of
has been given a variety of names, including Antony-in-East,
Antony St Jacob, and East Antony. It has also been called Antony-by-Rame, and
was called Antone in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Situated in the Hundred and deanery of East, and separated from the town of
Devonport by the Hamoaze, Antony is nestled in the South-eastern corner of
Cornwall. The parish is named after Saint Antony and possibly Anta's Farm. The
parish of Antony is now in the Caradon District Council.
Antony should not be confused with Anthony in Meneage in the Lizard peninsula,
nor Anthony in Roseland, which is just across the bay near Truro. (Click here
for close-up map) Many older records did not distinguish between them clearly;
all have been referred to merely as "Anthony" at some time. The 1884 parish
locator map on our site has indicated "Anthony" for this parish.
The "new" parish of Torpoint, created from Antony in 1819, lies in the
south-east corner of the older Antony parish. The parish is mainly farmland to
the West, while the town of Torpoint lies in the east of the parish. There are
two forts in the parish, Scraesdon and Tregantle; the latter is currently used
as a base camp for the adjacent military firing range. Tregantle was built in
1865 to protect the port of Plymouth from French iron-clad ships, and was
designed to hold 35 guns.
The elegant church, with its spire, was dedicated to St James (the Great) on
14th October 1259. The present church is thought to have been built around 1420.
It is situated on an eminence above the village, and the ascent to it is by
flights of granite steps. The church was completely renovated in the middle of
the 19th century. The old bench ends in the church have been incorporated into
the pulpit and the stalls in the chancel.
There is another Anglican Church (formerly a chapelry) at Merrifield
(Maryfield). The building is small and plain in the Decorated style, containing
several stained-glass windows.
Entrance to Tregantle Fort
© English Heritage, 1995
The OPC (Genealogy) for Antony is
For information about, and contact details for, the current parish
council please see
COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to
1891 and validated,
at Rootsweb - both are free, searchable databases - or check GenUKI for
For Parish Register records, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. For records of the church at
Maryfield (Merrifield), please contact
For information, see GenUKI. Link below
or visit the University
of Leicester's Directories website, which has many directories online to
view for free.
To view a Bastardy Order, dated 19 Jun 1749, naming
Mary and Grace SHELTON/SKELTON of Landulph and Thomas POMEROY of this
1809-1811, mentioning the names of many local residents
dated 19 Sep 1793, Thomas JOHNS and family, Antony to Sheviock
dated 14 Mar 1822, Ann BURKE, Antony to Sheviock
Notes on the JACKSON family of Antony, discovered
and contributed by John Hine.
For more information regarding history, population,
etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Antony Cornwall at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
St Stephens by Saltash,
Millbrook (post-1867) and
- Antony (St Anthony in East) is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n72). Also downloadable as a pdf.
The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, A.M. F.S.S., then Vicar of
Bodmin, printed 1847. If the in-built search produces no results, use the
index pages (474-476) to find your parish of interest. Tables of statistics
and other data can be found at the beginning of the book, starting at page
Heraldic Church Notes from Cornwall; containing the Heraldry and
Genealogical Particulars on every Memorial in Ten Churches in the Deanery of
East, by Arthur J. Jewers, F.S.A. Includes extracts from parish