The parish of
it has never been a large parish, nowadays, long after the closure of
the mines, St Allen comprises only a few houses. In its hey-day, around
1871, the parish comprised 774 inhabitants and provided the home for
miners working at East Wheal Rose, just across the border in the
neighbouring parish of St Newlyn East.
One of Cornwall’s greatest 19th Century tragedies
occurred on 9 July 1846: a flash storm flooded East Wheal Rose, with the loss of
thirty-nine men, many of whom were residents of, and buried in, St Allen. You
can read about the flood and its victims here, together with a note from the St
Allen Burial Register.
The registers for the parish church of St Allen (or
St Alunus) date from 1680, but by 1873 the Wesleyan Methodists and Bible
Christians had established their chapels in Zelah, a hamlet within the parish.
Like many other nonconformist religions, they operated preaching circuits, and
many of Zelah’s Wesleyan Baptisms were recorded in the St Newlyn East or Truro
circuit registers. Similarly, many of the Bible Christian records for St Allen
residents are found in Truro Bible Christian registers.
Hawkins Arms, 2002,© Steven Beazley
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for St Allen is
Gillian Hart, who can be contacted at
For information about and contact details for the current parish
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete
for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified,
FreeCens at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as
GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is
Directories for Cornwall can be searched online
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
1597, John BREY
1779, Robert CLEMOW
1604, William ROBERTS
1779, Oliver VINCENT
1 Jan 1657,
1788, Barbara CLEMOW
1700, Richard STRAIGHT/STRAITE
Feb 1789, Thomas HOSKING, proved 1797
1730, John COCK, junr.
1810, Catherine HOSKING, proved 1818
1734, Robert VINCENT
1833, Nicholas BISHOP
1736, Richard PAUL
1838, Thomas HOSKINS
1742, Edmund JOHNS, proved 1752
1838, Sarah HOSKINS
1753, Thomas CARTHEW
1849, Mary VINCENT, admin only
1760, Thomas HOSKINS
Additional information can be found in
the Cornwall section of
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Allen at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
St Erme, St Clement and
- St Allen is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n54). Also downloadable as a pdf.
The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, A.M. F.S.S., then Vicar of
Bodmin, printed 1847. If the in-built search produces no results, use the
index pages (474-476) to find your parish of interest. Tables of statistics
and other data can be found at the beginning of the book, starting at page
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XVIII transcripts including St Allen
(transcribed and in our
database/a>). For the Contents page, keep clicking Next until page 7/160