The parish of
Parish Church - Lych Gate & Spire
Photographs © John Evans
Parish Church - South Side
Parish Church - Covered Way to Porch
Parish Church - South Side & Spire
Methodist Chapel & War Memorial
Stile Field Cemetery
|Click thumbnails above to enlarge
More photographs below
St. Agnes is in the Hundred and deanery of Pydar, just
inland from the North coast and the Bristol Channel, and lies to the
North of Redruth. (see map reference below). It is not mentioned
in the Domesday Book of 1086, as it was considered part of Perranzabuloe
until 1846. It was in the Carrick district until Cornwall became a
unitary authority in 2009, with civil registration
for the parish being in the Truro Registration District continuously
from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St.
Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been
Villages in the parish include the
Churchtown, Trevaunance Cove, Towan Cross, Mithian and Mingoose. The
town of Perranporth is to the North East of the parish. Currently the
area is mainly farmland, but St Agnes Parish was one of the great mining
districts in Cornwall, abounding in tin and copper. As a result, the
parish is scant of trees. The Earl of Cornwall once had a manor at
Tywarnhayle. The northern boundary of the parish is the rugged Northern
coastline of Cornwall. St Agnes Beacon is a raised area of land which
was chosen as one of the principal western stations of the Ordnance
There have been concerted efforts to build a harbour at Trevaunance (now called Trevaunance Quay) over the centuries, but the
efforts have been discontinued. Blackwater is a village 3 miles
south-east, in the ecclesiastical parish of Mithian, which is on the
road between Redruth and St Columb. Goonbell, with a "halt" on the
Perranporth and Newquay rail motor car branch of the Great Western
railway, is also located in this parish.
From earliest times until 1846, St. Agnes,
while being the chief centre of population of the large parish of
Perranzabloe, was but a chapelry to that parish. It was not until 1846
when St Agnes was constituted an independent ecclesiastical parish and
the first Vicar was appointed replacing the previous curates. By 1846,
the population had increased to such an extent that the church building
was too small, and authority was given to pull down the old church and
build a new one. Only the lower stages of the old tower was incorporated
into the new building. Further history of the church and parish is
available on-line. The "new" parish of Mount Hawke was created from part
of parish 1847; it is located in the West of the older St Agnes parish.
The Roman Catholic Parish developed a Mass
Centre, which was started in the time of the Irish immigration in the
mid-nineteenth century. A Catholic chapel had been built in 1882 on
Trevellas Downs, near Cligga Head, and was served from Camborne. Between
the two world wars, people had to walk to the nearest Mass centre at
Perranporth. The present Church, Our Lady, Star of the Sea in
Trevaunance Road, St Agnes, was built in June 1958 as a Chapel-of-Ease
to Redruth Parish.
There was a Wesleyan Methodist church in St
Agnes, as well as Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels. A
municipal cemetery of two acres was formed in 1876 which included two
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for St Agnes is Stephen Hawke, who can be contacted by Email.
The previous OPC maintained a
which might be helpful in your research.
For information about, and contact details for, the current parish
council, please see
Contact details for the church can be found by searching
Information can be found at
COCP - the Cornwall Online Census Project - which is complete
for 1841 to 1891
and has been verified,
FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and
information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
For other Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database
(C-PROP) which is updated frequently and GenUKI. The C-PROP parish
coverage page is
to see a list of names on the St. Agnes Wesleyan Tablet Mural.
For information, visit the University
of Leicester's Directories website, which has many online to
view for free.
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit
1914-1918 War (1)
1914-1918 War (2)
|Click thumbnails to view names
© John Evans
A list of
available Wills and
Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered
from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as
NA enter the reference in the search box on
this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit
Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish
boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite
images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Agnes at
drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a
specific location on the map.
Mount Hawke (post-1847),
(post-1848), Kenwyn (pre-1848) and
- St Agnes is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert,
William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in
1838 (page n44). Also downloadable as a pdf.
The Circle, or Historical Survey of Sixty Parishes and Towns in Cornwall,
by William Penaluna, first published in 1819.
The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, A.M. F.S.S., then Vicar of
Bodmin, printed 1847. If the in-built search produces no results, use the
index pages (474-476) to find your parish of interest. Tables of statistics
and other data can be found at the beginning of the book, starting at page
Phillimore's Marriages Vol
XVIII transcripts including St Agnes
(transcribed and in our
database). For the Contents page, keep clicking Next until page 7/160
|Views of the Town
© John Evans